Find the answer to your Linux question:
Question upgrade FC4 > FC7 on separate machine I've been using FC4 on our production server now for a couple years and it's time for me to upgrade to FC7. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

upgrade FC4 > FC7 on a different machine

Question upgrade FC4 > FC7 on separate machine
    I've been using FC4 on our production server now for a couple years and it's time for me to upgrade to FC7.

Now the big question I've pondered is how is this going to be achieved with as little down-time as possible. I would like to do a clean install as I have been unable to do it using yum.

This could be a dumb question, but is it possible to install Fedora on a hard drive in a different machine, restore all backed up virtualhosts/emails and settings and then swap the newly installed hard drive with the old one which has a completely different motherboard/chipset but same architecture?

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations for upgrading Fedora on a production server..?

ta.

This could be a dumb question, but is it possible to install Fedora on a hard drive in a different machine, restore all backed up virtualhosts/emails and settings and then swap the newly installed hard drive with the old one which has a completely different motherboard/chipset but same architecture?
    it should work and you wont face any problem except Graphics. you have to re-configure xserver after swapping disk. if you are not using X, you are good to go.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First