Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm new to Linux. I know there's many posts about installing video drivers, but none of the them help me in my situation. Here is the problem. I go to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trouble installing nvidia driver

I'm new to Linux. I know there's many posts about installing video drivers, but none of the them help me in my situation.

Here is the problem. I go to run level 3 and start the installation and get these errors:

ERROR: Unable to find the kernel source tree for the currently running kernel.
    Please make sure you have installed the kernel source files for your
    kernel and that they are properly configured; on Red Hat Linux systems,
    for example, be sure you have the 'kernel-source' or 'kernel-devel' RPM
    installed. If you know the correct kernel source files are installed,
    you may specify the kernel source path with the '--kernel-source-path'
    command line option.
    ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
    '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
    on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
    driver download page at Welcome to NVIDIA - Graphics Cards, Motherboards, Notebooks, Desktop PCs.

I'm REALLY confused about the kernel stuff. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

You need the kernel-devel package, like that error message says. If your machine is connected to the internet, you can use yum to install it (you might as well get the kernel-headers as well, you might need them later):
    Code:
    #yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers

Should be able to just 'yum install kmod-nvidia' and be done with it, as long as the Livna repo is installed. Reboot and see the pretty nvidia logo just before desktop login.
    Glenn
    Powered by Fedora

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    You need the kernel-devel package, like that error message says. If your machine is connected to the internet, you can use yum to install it (you might as well get the kernel-headers as well, you might need them later):
    Code:
    #yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers
    When I do yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers, it says:

"Transaction Check Error:
    package kernel-devel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 (which is newer than kernel-devel-2.6.2c6) is alread installed."

Quote Originally Posted by glennzo View Post
    Should be able to just 'yum install kmod-nvidia' and be done with it, as long as the Livna repo is installed. Reboot and see the pretty nvidia logo just before desktop login.
    When I do yum install kmod-nvidia, it says:

"Loading 'installonlyn' plugin
    Setting up Install Proess
    Parsing package install arguments
    Nothing to do."

Just Joined!
    Does anyone know how I can get the kernel source for my kernel, or a precompiled kernel? I'm not sure what I need, but I think it's somewhere along those lines.

Just Joined!
    Like glennzo mentioned, first make sure you have Yum configured to use the Livna repo, then just run the following commands...
    Code:
    su -
    yum install kmod-nvidia xorg-x11-drv-nvidia
    nvidia-config-display enable
    service nvidia restart
    ... and then reboot.

Just Joined!
    Ok, I got the livna repo and installed the nvidia driver via yum. When the system is booting up, it says something about the nvidia kernel failing and there are several other warnings.

I need to fix this kernel issue. I think the easiest way would be to update the kernel altogether. I downloaded patch-2.6.21.5.bz2 from kernel.org. When I try to install this patch, it says something like "Update which file". I'm guessing I need to enter the directory of the current kernel.

Does anyone know the directory of the kernel to be updated?

I appreciate the responses so far.

Edit: Upon booting the system, it says:

Checking for module nvidia.ko: FAILED
    nvidia.ko for kernel 2.6.20-2925.9.fc7xen was not found. WARNING
    The nvidia driver will not be enabled until one is found. WARNING

Just Joined!
    Problem is fixed.

Just Joined!

Fedora may not be for me

I'm also having trouble with loading of the nvidia driver for my 6200 le card. I have tried all that has been said here as well as googleing like mad to find an answer but I'm getting a "no" as well. You stated problem solved as the last post here but I must be missing something because the person in this post and myself still don't have the answers. Livna is not as easy as "easy" or automatix on the Ubuntu side but I do want to learn because I think Fedora is actually faster in installing and working out issues, unfortunately not the issue with nvidia drivers. Can anyone give me an idea how to get mine going
    Thank you.