Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I changed the default to single user......rebooted. entered "root" when queried for the fedora login....entered my root password.....actually got a bit further this time: Last login: Mon Jul 9 07:54:52 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined! dleunen@marktwain.net's Avatar

Default login Level

I changed the default to single user......rebooted. entered "root" when queried for the fedora login....entered my root password.....actually got a bit further this time:

Last login: Mon Jul 9 07:54:52 on tty1
    [riit@fedira ~]#

...now what!?

Am I getting somewhere or going in circles? I don't want to waste YOUR time!

No you have already gotten farther than the initial complaint in your first post. You said you couldnt log-in as root and now you can. This is the same screen as what you would get with the fancy GUI, except its command line. Here you can create a new user and give them a password if wanted. IF you want the GUI to come up for login, then edit the /etc/inittab file and put the default run level to 5. Maybe it is me who is not understanding your initial concern, but you are now logged in as root which you stated you couldnt do before
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Dell Optiplex GX260, LTSP Diskless Workstation, Fedora Core 6

Are you doing something via USB because that is what the first error I see you posted in insinuating? Also when you did the fresh install did you use a FAT32 or NTFS file system? I have seen that first error message you stated before from people not using a FAT32 file system. Also once you are logged in as root try issuing the command startx and see if this doesnt get you to where you want to be. And dont worry you are not wasting my time
    $Billz

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood? None they eat plants!

Thumbs up Success!

I have DESKTOP!

Everything you have walked me through has been correct. I just haven't understood a lot of it and was learning as I went. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I originally set up with NTFS, and the only USB connected is the keyboard, which it is recognizing. I don't know why I was receiving the USB error. I am not any more.

I can log in now as root and this was the breakthrough: "once you are logged in as root try issuing the command startx....". ( I am wondering now, if I was even logging in correctly in the first place!) Oh well, you have led me through the first obstacle. Much thanks!

Single user was working, I just didn't know how to respond to get to the desktop. I consider this issue resolved!!!

Well im glad you got it, I too wasnt sure exactly what you were looking for but figured it was something along the startx command line. Glad to help, sorry it was a lot of running around
    $Billz

startx command line

THANK YOU!
    This was what I needed to proceed: startx

The journey was a learning experience! I do appreciate your time!

Just Joined!
    I've a similar problem, but had been booting fine to the gui, but now it goes to a command line. Followed your instructions here and have id:5:initdefault:

Tried the startx but the gui still fails to load. Prior to the problem I installed a nvidia driver (blindly trying trying to solve the limited resolution of 800x600 resolution) I also installed xxamp and oscommerce. I'm guessing that I've created a video display problem. Would like to try to get the driver back to a default setting, but havn't a clue where to strat.

Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2