Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I installe FC 1 with no sound issues - I have onboard sound with my Epox motherboard. Now I installed FC 2 and everything is great but I have no ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fedora Core 2 = no sound

I installe FC 1 with no sound issues - I have onboard sound with my Epox motherboard.

Now I installed FC 2 and everything is great but I have no sound

How do I go about fixing the fact I am deaf with this distro & why did I have sound with Fedora Core 1?

Is it maybe because I upgraded the kernel to support 8k stack for my Nvidia drivers (video card)?

I did not test my sound w/ the default kernel butonly after I upgraded to this kernel version 2.6.6-1.427.8kstack...

Please - any suggestions?

Just Joined!

Re: no sound on FC2

A similar thing happened to me. Installed FC2 - worked.
    Then I upgraded kernel to 2.6.6 - so far so good.
    Got an Nvidia card - installed - still got sound. Switched
    to kde - Sound is (almost) gone! Funny thing: now I get sound
    output only when listening to a CD from internal drive (analog
    connection to sound card). Otherwise, it's mute, even after
    I switched back to gnome. Even from root account (always
    been on gnome).

If I find a solution, I'll let you know.

Andy

Linux Guru
    Have you checked the volume levels?
    That is, not just the master volume, but the PCM volume as well. Open gmix, kmix, aumix or whatever mixer program you like and check all the volume levels.

Just Joined!

Re: no sound on FC2

Quote Originally Posted by anzelm
    A similar thing happened to me. Installed FC2 - worked.
    Then I upgraded kernel to 2.6.6 - so far so good.
    Got an Nvidia card - installed - still got sound. Switched
    to kde - Sound is (almost) gone! Funny thing: now I get sound
    output only when listening to a CD from internal drive (analog
    connection to sound card). Otherwise, it's mute, even after
    I switched back to gnome. Even from root account (always
    been on gnome).

If I find a solution, I'll let you know.

Andy
    The exact same thing happened to me - was running FC2 with gnome for about a month and the sound was working fine (except the system bell was mute). Yesterday, I decided to try kde for the first time and now my sound is dead. Even when I switch back to gnome. I tried several things including maxing out all the volumes with kmix (confirmed by alsamixer), using the hardware browser to check the recognition of the sound card, and booting with an older kernel - none of these worked. Also, I checked the hardware by booting into win.

I am also trying to find a solution.

Just Joined!

same here

I have Fedora core 2 and nforce aswell. Motherboard is Epox 8RGMi, Kernel version is 2.6.5-1.358 and I'm using gnome.
    I just can't here any sounds. I haven't tried with any other OS though.
    I wonder if this has anything to do with ALSA or OSS drivers.
    I think my configuration should support both but I'm not sure which one is in use.
    Perhaps someone might have any new ideas before I do further digging in manuals?

Just Joined!
    the first time i booted/installed FC2 - i had no sound..FC2 picked up my sound-card..recgonised it, installed the driver (creative 5.1) but no sounds...must be a FC2 bug - how strange!

waiting for solution/patch.

Just Joined!
    I had the same prob on mandrake 10 when I switched to the 2.6 kernel. ALSA I believe is your problem. I would try to run "alsaconf" as root, as this will find your cards and configure them for alsa. The caveat at the end of alsaconf is that the volume is turned down, but I have had no probs. If alsaconf doesn't work, type "lsmod" and see what you have in the sound modules. I have had to insert the alsa module ("insmod alsa") also. I don't know if any of this is technically correct, as I am new to linux as well, but it has worked for me on several occasions.

Hope it helps,

phil

Just Joined!
    update

Today for fun I reformated and reinstalled Fedora Core 2.

After all the disks are done loading, it asks you to reboot - I reboot and it loads fine.

Then it brings you to the screen to create my 1user...I type my users login name and password and select next > it asks me if I want to do a sound test. I select play test and I hear the corny guitar twine on both speakers fine...It then loads in to GUI (KDE) and then I go straight to speaker detection and do the same test I did 30 seconds ago and hear nothing...???

Why is this? I know my sound card is detected because I just heard it before I loaded KDE...is it muted somewhere???

Just Joined!
    This makes no sence and is very annoying...I know people have sound with Fedora Core 2 - I just don't understand why this is so complicated for a large distro like Fedora Core 2...???

Can anyone else offer a solution?

Linux Engineer
    is your sound card module loaded ?try lsmod first and see there if the module is loaded.otherwise type lspci in a konsole window to see the attached to pci port devices (in case ur sound card uses the pci).after that check the volume levels using kmix and gmix or qamix.if master and pcm is not set to mute then the problem is with the program u may try to play music(e.g xmms should have a plugin to play mp3's).try them and see if it works
    waiting for ur post !
    Linux For Ever!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast