Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just thought I'd post a positive comment here. Just installed FC2 on my laptop Compaq evo n1015v. installed first time beutifully. no funny kernel options - everything 100% detected. Very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

FC2 is great

Just thought I'd post a positive comment here. Just installed FC2 on my laptop Compaq evo n1015v.

installed first time beutifully. no funny kernel options - everything 100% detected.

Very very impressive. Just to put this in perspective for all the gentoo users here. Gentoo stage 3 cds won't boot on this laptop - just hangs.

anyway, have fun!

Kris
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!

2nd the motion!

Running FC2 on a Dell Inspiron 300m with every thing found as well aside from the internal wireless-g card. Having a cisco aero inserted after the fact brought wireless life back to shape.

I'm sure drivers will be out / working for the internal soon...

EnJoY.... lr

Linux Guru
    Yeah, FC2 is great (installed it on my sisters' computers). GNOME 2.6 is a blessing, and the new spatial Nautilus is a revelation if you ask me. There has been a lot of really major improvements, and enumerating them all here would just take too much space. ;-)

However, it's not as great as I'd have expected. I had expected a pure 2.6-based distro to have udev and magicdev support for hotpluggable devices.

I'm not very impressed with Gentoo's udev implementation either, though. It seems no distro has gotten that right yet, which surprises me really much. Now that the kernel hotplugging is about as great as it can be, I can't understand why there has been so little work on the user-space side of it. Maybe I need to join it myself... =)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

I'd love to agree....

Fedora Core 2 certainly looks promising. I'm using the 64bit release and the installation was very smooth. What I have been able to check out looks very nice.

However, because of a bug affecting 64bit chips, Nautilus crashes at login. I have found a possible fix but being a Linux newbie I can cope with configure/make/install to install a patch but when I get an error code 1 and long lines of code I tend to run screaming

Hoping for a fix soon because what I have been able to play with looks great