KDE starts with a black screen.
Yesterday I performed an update from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17.
After that everything runs smoothly (including login in graphical environment), until I get a black screen at startup of "KDE Plasma Workspace". In GNOME and 'KDE Plasma Workspace failsafe', I haven't a black screen.
The version of KDE is 4.9.
This is what I have already undertaken to solve the problem after google searching, but without success.
- move $HOME/.kde to $HOME/.kde.old and logon again.
- create new fresh dummy user and login with that user.
- reinstall all KDE related software :
$> yum reinstall kde*
- mv $HOME/.kde.share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc $HOME/.kde.share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc-broken
- add a new file in /etc/sysconfig/desktop with one line : DISPLAYMANAGER=KDE
- and mush more => but all without success !
The file '.xsession-errors' is in attachment, but I have not enough skills to read the solution in this file.
I will appreciate your help.
[Solved] KDE starts with a blank screen
Problem solved (with help of other forum: http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f...260271#p260240):
1) do not use the 'System Setting' tool to change compositing parameters : because persistent trouble (error msg: kdeinit could not launch /usr/libexec/kde4/kdesu)
2) use the command 'kcmshell4 kwincompositing' :
in the second tab disable the login effect, in the 3rd tab uncheck "Use OpenGL 2 shaders"
See what happens and esp. whether you get a black screen even when logging in using the xrender compositor.
3) if you have jamming trouble in KDE:
again the command 'kcmshell4 kwincompositing' and try to deactivating GL2 Shaders and/or the login effect in 3rd tab and uncheck "Use OpenGL 2 shaders".
Enable "suspend comspositing for fullscreen windows" on third tab.
use the "native" graphicssystem on 3rd tab as well .