Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Removing a dual boot (some Vista knowledge may be required)

Hi all,

I am currently using Windows Vista as my primary operating system and about a month ago I set up a Dual Boot for Fedora Core 6. I used Vista to create the partition for Linux and then went about installing Fedora. In terms of installation, everything went fine.

Now here is the problem, my college is highly recommending for my Computer Science Honors course that we set up a dual boot on our computers with a version of Red Hat that they provided.

I talked to them and told them that I already have Fedora, and they recommended that I switch over to the version that they have.

I am running under the assumption that every program we are going to need for the Computer Science Major program is provided on there.

So I need to know how to uninstall Fedora Core 6 while being able to maintain the 25GB of memory that I dedicated to Fedora.

Here is my partition distribution:

In order:
    1) Vista
    2) I'm not sure, assuming a Secondary Partition of Fedora
    3) Fedora
    4) HP Backup (for Vista)

Thank you for your help in advance,
    DPatagia

SuperMod (Back again) devils casper's Avatar
    Hi and Welcome !

First of all, remove GRUB from MBR. Check this post and follow instructions.

Now, delete 2nd ( 94MB) and 3rd ( 24.83 GB) Partitions. Format new free space created after deleting those partition in NTFS. You can do that using Vista's Partitioning Tool. Thats it.
    Last edited by devils casper; 09-05-2007 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Let me make sure I have the steps 100% clear so I don't mess up my computer.

1) Delete 2nd+3rd Partitions
    2) Merge the Partitions
    3) Re-Format into NTFS
    4) Shut down computer
    5) Re-boot the computer with my Vista Install CD in the drive
    6)
    Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper View Post
    Select Repair your Computer.(its below Install Icon).select Windows Vista and select Command Prompt.
    execute this
    Code:
    bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    bootrec.exe /fixboot
    close command prompt window and restart.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Boot up from Vista Installation CD/DVD first and execute bootrec commands. GRUB menu will not appear on reboot and Vista will boot up by default. Delete and format Partitions.

All right, thanks. I will give this a try this weekend when I run home to get my Vista CD

Do let me know how it goes.

Ok apparently HP didn't provide me a Vista installation disk. How would I go about being able to use the bootrec commands?

It kind of fits my opinion of Microsoft products(1."It's such a wounderfull program why would you want to use anything else?" 2. "It would be really easy to write a tool to fix that, but sense that never happens we will not take the time".)

I searched the MS knowledge base on how to make a boot disk, but I couldn't find anything more then "insert you Microsoft Windows Vista Disk". Which would makes sense sense they went off the deep end with copy protection with Vista. They want you to buy their stuff.

My suggestion, call Microsoft about a boot disk, use the Vista equivalent of "fdisk /mbr"(like was suggested above), or use the HP restore functions. There should have been either a set of disks to ship with your HP machine or a hidden partion on one of the hard drive with restore information on it. Of course, this will set you back to when you first got the machine.

As for Red Hat vs. Fedora there maybe some dependencies specific to that version of Red Hat the program was written around, but it doesn't make much sense to me. Fedora is basically the open beta of Red Hat.

I agree with 2_Late. There isn't any tool available to rewrite Vista Boot Loader other than Vista Installation CD/DVD. I will search again and let you know if I find any.

-->
    And time to write to Microsoft =/