Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Smile installing dlink nic

i m having problems while installing driver for dlink dfe-520tx in redhat linux 7.3.
    The drivers had come in a tar.gz package and i extracted the same .the details are as below

kcompat.h
    linux.txt
    Makefile
    rhine.h
    rhine_cfg.h
    rhine_main.c
    rhine_proc.c
    rhine_proc.h
    rhine_wol.c
    rhine_wol.h

When i try to compile using gcc or cc i get an error as" KErnel source not found."
    The kernel version is 2.4.18.
    The installtion procedure given in the cd is as below..
    Compile the driver source files and it will generate rhinefet.o, and copy it to correct driver installation path (The

installation directoryis different in different kernel versions. In 2.4.x/2.6.x kernel, the path is

/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/kernel/drivers/net/, and in 2.2.x kernel,the path is /lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/net/, the

KERNEL_VERSION (see above) means the kernel version of your Linux distribution. If you don't know your kernel version ,

please run 'uname -r' command in command line. The kernel version will look like '2.2.16', '2.4.2-2smp' etc.) : make install

In need to install the driver.Temporarily i have installed the rtl 8139 chipset nic,since linux automatically detects it.But

in future in case og new nics i need to be prepared.

I have no idea of compiling .

Linux Newbie
    Blog - KB5UMQ - Linux User #272983
    3 Rules:
    1) "It doesn't work..." is simply not useful information.
    2) Don't cross post!
    3) If you are asking for help, start by telling us your distro/os and version.