Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Complete noob query

Ok - before anyone says a single word - yes, I am new at this. I installed Fedora and it absolutely crawled. It finally booted up, then went blank.

I understand that my video chip set is onboard and therefore not recognised. I also understand that my hard disk is running at the bare minimum.

Ok, to resolve this I want to start up in text mode and to run hdparm with hdparm -c1d1X69 /dev/hda. What command line parameters do I enter into Grub so that I can do this? I tried adding init 3, but the screen still blanks after a lengthy boot process.

Is there anyone patient out there who can tell me how I can work around these issues until my new graphics card arrives?

Hi Jaguaress,
    Why don't you post details about your machine configuration? You have to give more details if you want anyone to help you.

With Regards,
    Thinker

I have a 200gb Maxtor disk 6L200P0. Windows XP is on one partition and the rest is split into three Linux partitions as per the installation instructions. I was able to use a DSL CD and run hdparm on it. I got the hard disk speed up from 4mb to 66mb, but I'm not sure how to translate the settings that were successful into my Fedora installation. I was able to mount the Linux partitions using DSL, but I couldn't read any of the Fedora files on the partitions to modify them to the correct settings.

I have a P4VM800 motherboard made by ASRock. I think, and again, I am new to this, it uses a VIA P4M800 chipset for the video.

Oh, and I am getting a Gainward FX Pro FX5500 chipset graphics card thingy but it hasn't come yet.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Let me try to rephrase this -

1. What do I have to add to the Grub line that calls the kernel so that I boot into text mode? I thought it was "init 3", but that doesn't seem to have the effect I was looking for.

2. How do I force Fedora to use the correct hard disk settings instead of the crippled default settings when I can't get to any interface, either text or GUI?

Oh, and I have 2gb RAM and a DVD, if that helps.

Hi Jaguaress,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguaress
    Let me try to rephrase this -

1. What do I have to add to the Grub line that calls the kernel so that I boot into text mode? I thought it was "init 3", but that doesn't seem to have the effect I was looking for.
    If you want to boot into command line interface then you have to edit the /etc/inittab file. In inittab, you will find a line
    id:5:initdefault:
    Change that line to the following and then reboot
    id:3:initdefault:
    With Regards,
    Thinker

That would be a doddle if I Fedora would boot to a point where I could get a command line or a graphic interface. Unfortunately, I don't get to that point, so I cannot edit any files because I get a blank screen instead of an interface. I would love to be able to edit /etc/inittab, dearly. I was hoping that I could instead edit the Grub line that passes parameters to the kernel on boot up so that the kernel ran the init 3 command.

I have tried ctrl alt F1 and an astounding number of variations on the ctrl alt theme during boot to get to a command line or anything that would let me at the configuration files, all to no avail. I tried pounding on the keyboard really hard, but unfortunately that did not work either.

Hi Jaguaress,
    Did you try booting from Fedora Rescue CD?

With Regards,
    Thinker

I did, and got the same blank screen after a rather long time.

Omg, this is so strange. I thought, ok, no help here, so I tried the Fedora recovery disk again. It turns out that it does work - it's just amazingly slow compared to DSL or Windows XP. If you are very patient, it does start eventually. That got me to a command line (at last) and now I can try to modify some of the files.