Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

OK to change time of cron.daily?

Hi, sorry if this is incredibly obvious. I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I want to change the time that my daily cron tasks (in /etc/cron.daily) run each day from 4:02 to 0:02. I want do this so that updatedb (started by slocate.cron) finishes before people start their workday. My quesiton isn't how, but whether this will create any problems.

Does anyone see any problems with running cron.daily at 2 minutes after midnight instead of 2 minutes after 4?

The tasks that run are mostly cleaning up log files and deleting old mail. This is Red Hat EL. The daily tasks are all defaults. (ls /etc/cron.daily returns: 00-logwatch 00webalizer certwatch logrotate makewhatis.cron prelink rpm slocate.cron tetex.cron tmpwatch).

Thanks in advance!

Hi you can see /etc/crontab and see the manual to find out how to change the time

Quote Originally Posted by Tim65
    Does anyone see any problems with running cron.daily at 2 minutes after midnight instead of 2 minutes after 4?
    This should be no problem.

However: if you need to apply any patches / security fixes to cron in the future, you will want to confirm that your changes weren't overwritten.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    n.yaghoobi.s : Thanks. I know how to change it - I was just wondering if anyone thought it was a bad idea.

anomie : Thanks. Good point about confirming the change doesn't get undone by patches. I'm going to make the change. If I ever do discover a problem caused by this change, I'll be sure to look up this thread and post the info here.