Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI what is the recommended security for a person that is new to Linux and security for the machine obviously because I get on the net. I know that iptables ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

A real beginner to linux and security

HI what is the recommended security for a person that is new to Linux and security for the machine obviously because I get on the net. I know that iptables is there(I have Debian 4 installed) and I did try to install f-prot but do I need anything else? I am just a home user with no special secrets to hide but after some bad experience with windoze I am keen to keep the peepers out.....ha ha. Oh when I say I tried to install f-prot.....the instructions on whatever site it was was not clear enough for this beginner. I donwloaded it and ran it and there is something that wants me to do more but sorry I can't remember what it is. All I know is when I install something else through KPackage I reminded that the process is not finished. I can do a capture if that helps.

oz
    forum.guy
    I don't run anti-virus or firewall apps, but that's not to say that you shouldn't. Most Linux users don't bother with them unless they are running a server. However, if you are inclined to click everything you run across online, and open up various packages without having some idea what's inside, you might be better off to install some kind of protection.

It would be wrong on my part to say that Linux is entirely safe, but it is generally safe if you are careful as a user.
    oz

Linux Newbie
    Ok yeah at the moment it is just my box with a dual boot(winxp and Debian-will avoid getting online on the windoze drive now) and a separate(not networked notebook with Ubuntu) and I would have thought until recently I was very well protected plus wise about not clicking anything I shouldn't. Two weeks ago I got my first Trojan on the windoze drive before I got this Debian drive on the net. What a pain. Everything went wrong after that even though I got a tool to clean it off the drive from Grisoft. After all these years that was my first infection ever. I have seen many friends machines that have both Trojans and viruses after I scanned their machines and ofcourse they were running windoze. I guess while I am a learner on Linux I wanted to just prevent me doing something stupid and as this is my first experience with microband(that is what we call broadband in Australia as we get half of the slowest speeds anywhere else in the world). Thanks though as that is interesting information and will help me with the non believers of Linux that I come across.

oz
    forum.guy
    Yeah, there's no telling how many windows machines out there are infected with various security issues, and the users don't even know it.

One of the best things you can do for yourself security-wise is to be sure not to run your Linux system as the root user unless absolutely necessary. Always log in as a regular user, then su to root to do any admin chores. Once you get used to doing this, you'd not even think about doing it any other way.

Post back if you have any other questions.
    oz

Linux Newbie

Ok

Yeah that is the way that my friend has me doing things. My linux friend that installed Debian in the first place. He told me to only make changes the way you stated and he is right because when I didn't follow what he said I stuffed up but fortunately i wasn't on the net then and it wasn't a breach of my system.
    OK so maybe I should purge f-prot because it is trying to fully install everytime I used kpackage and it is getting annoying. I am not sure if purge is what I am supposed to do but it is a word I have learnt since being around linux.