Find the answer to your Linux question:
# ================================================== =========================== # block kids : nate 23: tim d9: bob 78: rae 2f: # ================================================== =========================== #REJECT lan0:~00-10-4B-2E-6A-23 inet all #REJECT lan0:~00-04-5A-6B-9D-78 inet all #REJECT lan0:~00-12-17-72-A0-2F inet all ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

turning off and on the kids internet access.

# ================================================== ===========================
    # block kids : nate 23: tim d9: bob 78: rae 2f:
    # ================================================== ===========================
    #REJECT lan0:~00-10-4B-2E-6A-23 inet all
    #REJECT lan0:~00-04-5A-6B-9D-78 inet all
    #REJECT lan0:~00-12-17-72-A0-2F inet all
    #REJECT lan0:~00-08-A1-1D-DF-D9 inet all
    ================================================== ===========================
    This is the rules I am currently using they work great.
    All I do is rem out the statement and restart shorewall to give the kids access.
    I rem out only one to block all but say bob bobs mac address ends in 78
    so i rem out the REJECT lan0:~00-04-5A-6B-9D-78 inet all to allow bob out to the internet.
    then when I want to block them again I un-rem the rule , restart shorewall and they are blocked again.
    but I want to be able to automate it where I can make a intranet page for my wife to log in to click a button and turn off and on the kids internet.

Is there any way I can make the changes to shorewall/iptables using a script or some other way of being able to automate these changes?
    Or am i stuck with teaching her to log in ssh and editing the rules file and restarting the shorewall?

thanks for your help in advance.

Robert Harvey

put the exact commands you do now to change it in a file.
    put the #!/bin/bash line as first line in there.
    save the file
    chmod +x it.
    done.. ^^

Check the Scripting part for this. It has more to do with Scripting then with security.
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Guru
    You could create two instances of the configuration and use a script to rename the config files and restart the service as Robin mentioned. Another alternative if you just want content filtering would be :-

DansGuardian - True Web Content Filtering for All

Just Joined!
    so your saying this is really a scripting issue.
    which forum should i post it in?
    thanks
    Robert