Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
This is quite intersting, but i found a metaphore that describes it, my friend said this once, and i know its not entirely accurate techinicaly, but screw it A virus ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

This is quite intersting, but i found a metaphore that describes it, my friend said this once, and i know its not entirely accurate techinicaly, but screw it
    A virus in linux is like putting one english man in a room with 27 retarded epileptic tibetians and trying to convince them to count upword using only prime numbers
    .....my reaction also...but amusing nontheless[/quote]

Linux Newbie
    Just another newb question. Everyone says "never run as root" for the obvious reason that if you don't, a virus will find itself presented with a password prompt when it tries to do serious mischief. Is use of the "su" command just as dangerous?

Thanks
    N3WO

There are 10 types of people; those who count in binary and those who don\'t...

Linux Engineer
    Linux For Ever!

Your missing fprot

Linux Newbie

virus stuff

For people who have used virus protection on their linux home box (sounds like a few don't), which types of VP have you liked? I am looking for the Free'er type if you know what I mean. I am in a similar boat as the fellow above... that and I am somewhat untrusting.

Also do any of you use something like spybot? Is this uneccessary or is just a firewall all that is needed?
    Ack!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotharjade
    For people who have used virus protection on their linux home box (sounds like a few don't), which types of VP have you liked? I am looking for the Free'er type if you know what I mean. I am in a similar boat as the fellow above... that and I am somewhat untrusting.

Also do any of you use something like spybot? Is this uneccessary or is just a firewall all that is needed?
    I don't think linux is capable of running Spybot. It is kind a sad because it is such a good program.

Quote Originally Posted by phopogologo
    I don't think linux is capable of running Spybot. It is kind a sad because it is such a good program.
    Sad? Linux doesn't need to run Spybot. Why would you want it to?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Sad? Linux doesn't need to run Spybot. Why would you want it to?
    I have to admit I don't know very much about the subject so you are most probably right. I justknew spybot doesn't work in linux. I didn't know it wasn't necessary, sorry. But thanks for correcting me then.

Quote Originally Posted by phopogologo
    I have to admit I don't know very much about the subject so you are most probably right. I justknew spybot doesn't work in linux. I didn't know it wasn't necessary, sorry. But thanks for correcting me then.
    Well, I agree that Spybot is a nice program (and *very* useful in MS Windows). I just wanted to point out that the fact it is not needed and won't run in Linux isn't a bad thing.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Maybe the school is aking for virus protection in Linux because they think you can email an infected attachment to a Windows computer without knowing
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast