Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just recently joined and you can definitely say I'm a n00b but I recently started looking into security for my home network. Given that I'm using a router with WPA ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Security for the average home network

Just recently joined and you can definitely say I'm a n00b but I recently started looking into security for my home network. Given that I'm using a router with WPA security, most of my computers are going to be connected through wireless vs. wired. As for security on the user-level, I have all the typical software in place like commercial av and firewall. I am self-employed and I do have some sensitive client data that might be floating around but nothing THAT sensitive to the point where I'll be in court trying to defend myself. Other than that, I do the typical things like check bank accounts and do some trading online.

So I am wondering what everyone else's opinions are as far as the security needs for a home network. I'm not sure if I need something like IPCop (is it really necessary vs. my router?) as far as upgrading my firewall needs or do I need to start looking at other ways to secure my network from the wireless end also. I've checked out the WiTopia service but is WPA enough in your opinion?

Just Joined!
    IPCop would only protect against internet hacking - If you really have security concerns rethink the wireless LAN as this is your greatest threat.