Find the answer to your Linux question:
I went on line to check my e-mail this morning. I was surprised to see about 20 returned mail/spam notifications originating from my address. Most were to addresses in Russia, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

spam from my e-mail?

I went on line to check my e-mail this morning. I was surprised to see about 20 returned mail/spam notifications originating from my address. Most were to addresses in Russia, but a couple were in Italy. I know nobody in those countries and didn't send these.

I'm wondering if my computer has been compromised or if some third party spoofed my e-mail address. What do I look for and how would I fix it? I'm running Fedora Core Linux 6.

This Short Guide to Security might have some stuff you need.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Basically, your right, your email was spoofed in order to make it look like it came from yourself. All in an effort to get you to click on it. I simply delete these on sight, without bothering to investigate.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

I did run chrootkit and found nothing. The 'returned' emails had attachments in hexadecimal - maybe a viral payload.

I also learned about one Windows email virus, KLEZ.H, that adds in an email address from the victim's address book when it spreads itself, to spoof where it comes from. I guess I'd better go check Dad's Vista machine soon.