Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know I can use PAM and the access.conf file to restrict root SSH logins from specific IP addresses, so I want to do that but I also want ROOT ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Pam + Ssh Keys

I know I can use PAM and the access.conf file to restrict root SSH logins from specific IP addresses, so I want to do that but I also want ROOT to only be able to login VIA ssh using a trusted ssh_key (authorized_keys) and not a password, the only way to SSH log onto the box using the ROOT password should be via the console or via su - . This should only be for the ROOT user and not for other users.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCarpio
    I also want ROOT to only be able to login VIA ssh using a trusted ssh_key (authorized_keys) and not a password
    In /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
    Code:
    PermitRootLogin without-password
    See sshd_config(5) manpages for details.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianCarpio
    the only way to SSH log onto the box using the ROOT password should be via the console or via su - . This should only be for the ROOT user and not for other users.
    Edit /etc/securetty and remove everything except the line that says "console". (IIRC, in this context, console refers to single-user mode console -- you'll want to test that.)