Find the answer to your Linux question:
Guys, I think my server farm has been seriously exploited. Running a routine "netstat -tlpn" as root on one production apache server tonight I noticed that the PID did not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3 MACHINES HACKED - lsof/netstat/proc suggest kernel exploit

Guys, I think my server farm has been seriously exploited.

Running a routine "netstat -tlpn" as root on one production apache server tonight I noticed that the PID did not show up at all for one open TCP port (even though I was root and all other listen sockets had their PIDs listed).

Sure enough I could telnet into that port from another server - this was no bogus artifact. The socket was held open and tcpdump showed traffic flowing at either end.

lsof did not show this particular socket as being open (!?).

With lsof not showing the socket at all, and netstat's -p option not revealing any PID, I started to get very worried and turned to /proc.

When connecting in externally to this port I noticed that NO INODE IS CREATED. An inode should surely always be created for each end of a socket. I checked, and it is for all other genuine ports open on that box. But not when I connect to the suspicious port.

In other words, unless I am missing something, the only way this can be happening is if I have an exploited kernel or kernel module. I am aware that kernel module exploits of this form exist, where a remote attacker can trigger a kernel based keylogger etc with a special command sequence sent over TCP.

The same symptoms are now shown on 2 others of my servers.

This is bad - I have gone into emergency mode and done what i can - revoked a load of keys, deleted sensitive logs and so on.

Now I'm stuck. The servers are still up and running - I'm not sure if this is indeed an exploit but it ain't looking good.

Any security gurus help me out here?

Ben

Just Joined!

follow up

I've tracked this down to what is probably totally innocent (I hope!)

The magic packet stuff seems to be caused by nfs-kernel-server

All the servers I thought had been rooted were running this package.

The suspect port only shows up in "rpcinfo -p".