Find the answer to your Linux question:
Not that I want to actually do this, but what exactly does :\(){ :\|:& };: *do* to kick off a fork bomb? Just trying to better understand. I've escaped out ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Bash fork bomb syntax meaning

Not that I want to actually do this, but what exactly does

:\(){ :\|:& };:

*do* to kick off a fork bomb? Just trying to better understand. I've escaped out a couple characters to prevent them from resolving as smiley faces in my post, but you get the idea of what I'm asking.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Last edited by pgymjp; 11-20-2008 at 07:10 PM. Reason: clarification

I don't think those backslashes should be there,they're just escape characters.

The colon is an alias for the true command. This is creating a function that splits off and runs itself again. By running asynchronously it continues to multiply at a geometric rate until all of the capacity of the machine is consumed. In modern systems this is prevented through use of ulimit which limits how many processes a user can have.

Code:
    :(){};
    Means that you're defining a function, and the function definition is between the curly braces.

The function definition,
    Code:
    :|:&
    , means that the function first calls itself, and then passes the output to another version of itself, which is then backgrounded (that's what the & does).

After the function definition, the function is then called by using it's name, :.

The following,
    Code:
    forkbomb(){forkbomb|forkbomb&}; forkbomb
    would do the same thing except I've called the function "forkbomb", instead of the much harder to read ":".
    Last edited by smolloy; 11-20-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Cool Fork bomb works like a champ

Thanks. Really works great when run by root. Now I have to break out the big hammer to get my AIX box back.