Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm having some problems with ssh into my university network. For the most part it works fine, but if I'm on the university wireless connection, it doesn't work. What happens ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What is openssh doing?

I'm having some problems with ssh into my university network. For the most part it works fine, but if I'm on the university wireless connection, it doesn't work.

What happens is openssh connects, then requests my password. I enter the password, and there is a carriage return and then the cursor blinks indefinitely. If I access the server from my home connection it works fine. If I use putty from the uni wireless connection it works fine. I only have problems when using openssh.

Is there any way to see what is going on "behind the scenes," after I enter my password, so that I can try to get it working?

Just Joined!
    You could always try the -vv option to enable verbose output

When you connect from your home computer, you may be connecting through a vpn-node which passes the request off to another computer. If you are on-campus, then the vpn server may be ignoring you (since you are already a part of the network).

Your technology department should be able to tell you what hosts you need to connect to when on and off campus. If this does not work or pertain to your situation, we may need a few more details.

Good luck
    Linux since: 2001
    Gentoo since: 2004
    - - - - - - - -
    Translation:
    I fix things until they break.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close