Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have reason to believe a malicious user knows my IP address and is accessing my machine and its display remotely. Is there any way to check for this sort ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Security breach: Display

I have reason to believe a malicious user knows my IP address and is accessing my machine and its display remotely. Is there any way to check for this sort of thing? Is there any way this user could harm the machine when it's offline? Thanks.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    This is only possible if you have XDMCP enabled for your desktop, and then you should see a notice that a remote user is accessing your desktop. This is simple enought to disable, but we need some more information to help you do this. What is the distribution+version of Linux that your are using, and which desktop GUI are you using (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, etc)? Also, do you yourself need remote access to your system's desktop? Do you need shell (command line) access remotely? With this information we can help you lock down your system so that only you can access it legitimately.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    I'm running openSuSE 10.3 with KDE. Currently I'm unable to access my desktop remotely, but I can log into remote machines via SSH. I would still like to be able to remotely access the display myself, but prevent other users from doing so.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can set up a password for access easily enough, but anyone who knows the password can remote control the desktop. Anyway, why do you think someone has pwned your system?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!