Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install dasher E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable) E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

mint@mint ~ $ sudo apt-get install dasher
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

Just Joined!
    I ran rkhunter again, and I got pretty much the same results (a couple of warnings). I am still on a LIVE CD installation. I was trying to get to "rkhunter.log" to review it, however, I was in nautilus first and was denied access, then I tried the terminal using

"mint@mint $ sudo /var/log/less rkhunter.log"

and still was denied permission. This is confusing.

While in /var/log, I found 4 log files that I do not understand. The three files are messages, auth, and daemon. Each one is renamed "xxxx2bexplained" and attached. I think the daemon file does have bluetooth activity switching to wireless then using my ethernet card. I didn't actually plug in my ethernet cable until 2:20pm (CT) my time. So, what shows in this logfile (daemon2bexplained, attached) seems to be largely taking place before I turned my wireless connectivity on, and before I plugged in a 10base-T cable from my router.

And I do not understand why my clock is correct, and then suddenly 25 minutes later it changes to GMT (or +5 from my time). I will adjust it back, but changes again soon thereafter. I hope this is all normal.

If someone could look at these files, I would very much appreciate it. I need to know if there is some process going on which is dangerous or if I just need a good night's sleep!!!

Thank you!!!

Paul
    Attached Files Attached Files

Linux User
    A lot of those processes that you are not running are started at boot, and are waiting to be called. Its done that way so you don't have to wait when you want to use one of the services.
    The command was supposed to be [code] sudo cat /var/log/rkhunter.log | less[code]
    Registered Linux User #420832

Just Joined!

Thank you

OK. I understand, and am feeling a bit more relieved. I think I must still have some bug in Windows, but I am beginning to get comfortable with the notion that there is nothing furtive going on in Linux.... the only problem is my inadequate experience/skill level, and not understanding that there may be several "users" at one time, but that they are processes.

Also, the first version of Linux I used and where I learned what to expect in certain situations was a Slax environment. There was no 'sudo'. Many times I forget that I am not actually root in Ubuntu, and further, I forget to add sudo to the commands which need them. So my denied permissions are probably as a result of that.

Further, in my syslog, I think a lot of the "experimental" ethernet connections that are going on is part of avahi. The zeroconf link-local protocol used in the Bonjour service in windows. I hated that service in Windows, and if avahi was the reason I became more paranoid, then I am not fond of it either....

Can anyone confirm or comment on their experiences with Avahi?

Linux User
    I'd have to check my laptop logs since its Mint XFCE. By the way, I edited post above yours.

Linux User
    My auth & daemon logs look very similar to yours, except I have a service called gdmgreeter that appears to be hosed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2