Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to test the feasibility of an idea: I want to encrypt a laptop's hard drive in its entirety. I was planning on doing this by having /boot on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Entire disk encryption

I'm trying to test the feasibility of an idea:

I want to encrypt a laptop's hard drive in its entirety. I was planning on doing this by having /boot on a partition on a removable usb stick. As long as the host laptop supports booting of USB I see no reason why this wouldn't work. It is not the most elegant of solutions though. Are there any other suggestions on how I might achieve this? The only condition I have is that everything stored on the laptop hard drive must be encrypted.

Many thanks.
    Monday.

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never tried it myself but it appears that TrueCrypt will encrypt an entire hard drive:

TrueCrypt - Free Open-Source On-The-Fly Disk Encryption Software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X and Linux

Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

Edit: Oops... looking at this a bit further it appears that it might not do what you want.
    Last edited by oz; 06-17-2009 at 08:46 PM.
    oz

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I've never tried it myself but it appears that TrueCrypt will encrypt an entire hard drive:

Edit: Oops... looking at this a bit further it appears that it might not do what you want.
    For full disk encryption from boot-loader to OS, it only supports Windows at this time. You can create a TrueCrypt volume which is mounted in the file system. I don't know what else the Linux version is capable of, such as encrypting a hard drive partition.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Forget about Truecrypt. Its major focus is on Windows and always has been.

Look into dm-crypt/LUKS, which is the standard for Linux WDE. I am not sure what distro you are using, but if its one of the buntu's you can download the "alternate install cd" and follow the directions here: hxxp://oei.yungchin.nl/2008/04/23/installing-ubuntu-804-with-full-disk-encryption/ (substitue http for hxxp). I used this method for my Kubuntu box and all of my partitions are encrypted (except for /boot which is not a concern anyway).

If you're using Fedora, you can use dm-crypt/LUKS during install with a few simple clicks of the mouse.

No matter what distro, just be sure to put your /boot partition on a USB stick and not on the drive itself (considering this is what you said you wanted). So, just make a provision for that.

P.S. Putting /boot on a USB really is only more secure if you're concerned about someone physically compromising your /boot partition and putting a keylogger on it or something. Unless your computer will be used in a hostile environment, I don't see much benefit of a separate USB /boot partition. The encryption keys are not stored on the /boot partition anyway.