Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hello all, I am interested in installing an anti-spam and anti-virus software on a Linux server that caters to some 500 users. Can anyone suggest a good anti-spam software and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anti spam for Linux

Hello all,

I am interested in installing an anti-spam and anti-virus software on a Linux
    server that caters to some 500 users.

Can anyone suggest a good anti-spam software and if possible send a
    link for some documentation about its configuration..

Thanks a lot
    K

Linux User
    http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=anti+...ojects&x=0&y=0

check there. good luck, you will find a lot of anti spam tools there

Just Joined!
    Hello Kriss,

Thanks a lot for the link... Can you please let me know how effective spamassissin is on Linux. I am using sendmail and is there a good documentation for spamassassin to be used with sendmail as a spam filter. I checked the spamassassin.org site but it has little information about configuration.

Thanks a lot for your valuable time

K

Linux Guru
    I'm using spamassassin on my system and I find it quite effective.
    The most common way to use spamassassin is to include in your ~/.forward file. Add a line that reads "k007: |spamassassin" to filter all mail through spamassassin (providing that your username is k007 (forgive me, but I'm having a hard time respecting that you're using h4x0r markup)). Note that sendmail (providing that you're using sendmail) executes these things via smrsh, so you'll need to either install a copy of spamassassin in /etc/smrsh, or disable the use of smrsh (less recommended).
    The above method is, of course, only valid for a seperate user. If you want to enable spamassassin to all users, I suggest configuring sendmail to run spamassassin instead of procmail.

Just Joined!
    Hello,

THanks for the responses and suggestions. As per the suggestion for spamassassin to be used with sendmail, what changes are to be done to sendmail.cf file and since I want it for a site-wide configuration do I have to individually create .procmailrc file with the contents for all the users ( in our case it is more than 500 ) ?? or is there any other way for a site wide configuration.... Some documentation regarding configuration of spamassassin over sendmail will be really a great help

Thanks
    K

Linux User
    i think i found something here. so, good luck

Just Joined!
    Thank you everyone

I have got good amount of information from all of you and now I have got a tar of spamassassin . But nowhere I found what exactly I need to add in my sendmail.cf file after I install spamassassin. Is there any thing particular that needs to be added in the sendmail.cf file for sendmail to use spamassassin or just creating local.cf file in /etc/spamassassin and running the spamd daemon will do.

Thanks
    K

Linux Guru
    Well, the thing is that with its normal usage (ie. without -P), spamassassin just forwards everything to procmail directly. In that case, you only have to replace the "local" mailer with spamassassin (it should currently be procmail), and all should be done.
    However, it doesn't really work that way if you use spamd. spamc only emulates spamassassin with its -P behaviour, ie. it outputs the scanned mail on stdout. Therefore, if you want to use spamd (which I guess that you want), the best way is probably to write a procmail recipe to pipe everything through spamc. I haven't written any procmail recipes myself, but check the manpages (see procmail(1), it has references to a couple of others) and you're sure to find out.

Linux User
    found another interesting project for anti spam. download it here

good luck

Linux Guru
    99.5%?! That's extremely good. I'll check it out, too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast