Find the answer to your Linux question:
yes i know linux is not as vulnerable to such things. (^_^) but i'm building somewhat of a bootable disk to service windows installs and was wondering what (if any) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] spyware scanners

yes i know linux is not as vulnerable to such things. (^_^)
    but i'm building somewhat of a bootable disk to service windows installs and was wondering what (if any) scanners for spyware are out there that i can put on this disk?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You can find some security apps here that might work for you:

Anti-Virus | Linux App Finder

Best of luck with your project.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

You can find some security apps here that might work for you:

Best of luck with your project.
    WOW hey that is an awesome site...deff bookmarking it (^_^) thanks a lot!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've been doing more an more AV clean/restore work for my clients these days, most who are using Windows and are discovering that some of the more nasty viruses disable their AV software and are basically impossible to clean up via Windows. So, I take their hard drives out of their systems, connect to my Linux workstation via an external drive enclosure, and then scan/disinfect/recover them as much as possible before restoring them to their computers and finishing the cleanup there. The alternative is to wipe the drives completely and reinstall Windows and all their software from scratch - imagine how appealing (NOT) that is to them! Anyway, after a lot of testing, and I have tried Linux versions of ClamAV, McAfee, AVG, and F-Prot, I think I am liking F-Prot the best for Linux use to detect Windows (and Linux) viruses. As for Linux viruses, they pretty much don't yet exist. That doesn't mean that your Linux systems are not vulnerable to hacking, but the fact is that most malware does not (yet) target Linux systems. Since most people who use Linux have mixed networks of Linux and Windows systems, an AV product that can detect Windows viruses is critical. F-Prot is commercial, but not expensive (about $30 USD for a single workstation - $100 for a server license with real-time scanning). Most all of these products have free trial versions for the commercial versions, that are unemcumbered (no restrictions on capabilities) so you can evaluate them pretty thoroughly.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I've been doing more an more AV clean/restore work for my clients these days, most who are using Windows and are discovering....
    dude that is almost exactly what i do XD before i used windowsPE but i have converted (^_^)