Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Everyone, I have a unique issue. I am sure it is an easy fix but I am stumped due to my relatively inexperience to Virtual machines and linux. One ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Lost Control of Linux Virtual Machine

Hi Everyone,

I have a unique issue. I am sure it is an easy fix but I am stumped due to my relatively inexperience to Virtual machines and linux.

One of my laptops I haven't been using fora few months has a Linux virtual machine that I set up as a part of a lab for a class. I would like to still retain the virtual machine for learning purposes.

The Virtual Machine is VMWare and the linux flavor that is loaded is Red Hat 2.6.9 (Nto sure if that will matter). I have full access to my windows Vista Machine that has the VM loaded, unfortunately I no longer remember even the username not to mention the password.

Also, I want to maintain the linux virtual machine's configuration without doing a re-install.

I have tried goinng into f2, l, e upon bootup and all of those have been disabled in the virtual machine.

I am unsure what to do at this point. Any ideas convntional or otherwise would be greatly apreciated. Thanks,

Best Regards,
    gh0pp3r

This is hardly a Security issue.
    And its not an Unique issue

Anywho,
    load a LiveCD. Mount the Partitions use the passwd command =)

Hope that helps. If you need some more insights I am happy to enlighten you even more =)
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Hi

Thanks for posting a reply. I really apreciate the tips. Can you also explain more of the process. I have a live CD (does it have to be exactly the same flavor of linux or can I use my Fedora live CD to do this?). I am having trouble with connecting the dots on teh rest of the stuff though..

1) Put the live CD into my drive on teh same sys as my VM (which is a windows Vista running my linux VM.
    2) Mount the partitions (not sure what todo here and where)
    3) Use the psswd comand (not sure when or where this will pop up)

I appologize in advance for my inexperience and I am really greatful for the friendly help !

BestRegards,
    gh0pp3r

Linux Guru
    Google: how to reset passwd linux => Linux Forums