Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I have a question. How many virusses has written for Linux? Do You have any stats? Maybe any links? It is very important for me....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Number of Linux virusses

I have a question. How many virusses has written for Linux?

Do You have any stats? Maybe any links?

It is very important for me.

Short answer: not many, and none have done significant, widespread damage yet.

Linux malware - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Thanks for the link techieMoe, that'll come in handy the next time someone asks about virus protection for Linux.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    I know that number of Linux viruses is less than number Windows Viruses

I am interesting also about growth number of Linux viruses

In wikipedia:
    The number of malicious programs—including viruses, Trojans, and other threats—specifically written for Linux has been on the increase in recent years and more than doubled during 2005 from 422 to 863.[3]
    source: internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3601946. Last revision: April 27, 2006.

As I am an Malware Analyst and a Linux Fan I feel obligated to answer this Question. However I hate to disappoint you guys. But there are a hell of a lot pieces of Malware Code for the Linux platform. However there are hardly any 'worms' or in the wild pieces of this.
    The most Malware that attacks Linux are Encoded Shellcodes or appended shellcodes. Malware on Linux hasn't evolved to the big furry monster its in Windows Land but they are certainly there. I've seen a lot POC Malware codes. These include ltrace malware and sudo-rape malware (as I like to call it).
    But also Worm-like behavior is not new to Linux.

So my opinion is Install a Virus Scanner anywho. It doesn't hurt. But use it to scan things you downloaded from a unknown location. Also watchout for Javascript Malware as thats Cross-Platform. Where can you get this. Well any webpage. Known targets have been like CNN, MySpace (SamyWorm), Facebook (Koobface) and Twitter. But it can happen on anypage. Like of your local Fishers group. Maybe even Linux Forms might once carry a Virus. ( However the webpage needs to be exploited first one way or another. )
    New Users, please read this..
    Google first, then ask..

Just Joined!
    Thanks for reply. I have an antivirus in my Linux.

I am creating presentation about security. I am interesting about actual number of Linux and Windows viruses.

I am sorry for my english

Linux Guru
    Here's a fairly informative link on wikipedia:

Computer virus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When you are reading about viruses,trojans, worms,etc... I would be reluctant to accept as total fact anything that comes from a company that sells antivirus software.

Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    I would be reluctant to accept as total fact anything that comes from a company that sells antivirus software.
    hehe I get that a lot. However did I try to sell a certain anti-virus to you?
    Any would be fine. For Linux I myself use the OpenSource IDS by SourceFire for Proactive Defense and SourceFires ClamAV Anti-Virus for scanning. Both are free as in speech. I'm not trying to sell anything just raising awareness.
    Saying you don't need a anti-virus at all is not only ignorant and stupid its also not fair to the others of the world.
    Eg. if I'd catch a Windows Virus on Wine. And I'd let it do whatever it wants as it cannot disable or interrupt my own work its really unfair behavior as it might still spread and infect windows systems and damages other peoples work. However I am a huge Linux fan. I'll have to warn everybody that Linux isn't bulled proof. I myself am working on a couple of Anti-Virus/Internet Security kind of suites for the Linux world. They will be free as in speech and as in beer.

I'd be happy to read/help you on your paper my the way.

Also, I am happy to go in a heavy discussion if Linux has Malware or not.

Also I'd like to point at this document by ESET: <Can't find the document anymore. But it has a nice toplist of responses of Mac Users that heard about Malware and I really had to laugh about the one that said: "lalalal Im not listing." >
    And next from that I hate the fact that people see us analysts as corporate figurers I honestly don't care if the company where I work sells enough. I myself can't care less. As well I am in there for the Security. I will never ever work for a company like Symantec as I don't approve on there product nor on McAfee Policy on what is ethical ( Targeted Group Meetings - McAfee Security Conference FOCUS 09 ). And I also want to dismiss the fact that Anti-Virus Company's make Malware. It's retarded. Why would they?

There are more then enough criminals to do that "for" them. Some of you might not know but there are Criminal Organisations all over the world that hire hackers (crackers) to write Malware. Even for a certain target.
    And beware of the big pieces of Malware out there. I honestly believe that the time of the Linux Conficker is opon us.

Some nice webpages to have a look at for your paper: Shadowserver Foundation - Main - HomePage eicar - Home Virus Bulletin : Independent Malware Advice

ps. It took be quite a while to gather the links for you.
    Google first, then ask..

Linux Guru
    Robin Vossen:

What are you talking about? First of all, look over the posts. No one suggested not using anti-virus on Linux or any other system! So your creating a straw man to argue against something that was never said is actually "ignorant and stupid".

My statement above which you quote is exactly what you refer to later in your post regarding Symantec and McAfee. These people are in the business of making money and they will try to scare people to get them to purchase their product. This is why you will see 100,000 + viruses, or on the Symantec site, 1,000,000 plus viruses. If you go to an objective site the numbers will be phenomenally lower.

Yancek:

I never tried to assault you personally. I am making statements as I am dieing to get a big argument going
    Google first, then ask..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast