Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, Im a Linux user, I hope someone can help me and give me some anwsers. If theres is a keylogger running in my debian lenny how can i ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A Keylogger

Hi everyone, Im a Linux user, I hope someone can help me and give me some anwsers.
    If theres is a keylogger running in my debian lenny how can i find it and disable it?
    thanks.

Hello and Welcome!
    I think Rkhunter will find some but I'm not sure it will find them all. You can probably install it from your systems repos.
    The Rootkit Hunter project
    I think your best bet it to keep track of your system manually such as examining bash history commands, regular check of /tmp and scan for hidden files and processes. If you keep strong passwords/password protected screensavers and what not you should be okay. But you're always stuck with physical access, the only way around that is to allow no one access to your machine.
    Last edited by MikeTbob; 01-30-2010 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added A Welcome! =-O
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Thank u Mike, the thing is that its my former partner who introduce me to Linux and hes what u can call an advanced user and im afraid he spys on me even now that he hasn't more access to my computer and I regularly check bash history, which can be deleted, and remote desktop its disable. so is there a command that shows me if there is some information saving that it shouldn't? thanks a lot.

Well, I don't think there is one single command that will tell you what is happening on your system but there a few guides that you can follow if you are security focused.
    Securing Linux
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Quote Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
    ... Linux and hes what u can call an advanced user and im afraid he spys on me ...
    If you really believe this ... treat as a root kit, backup data and re-install. Change passwords for everything ... webmail, facebook, amazon, banking, user accounts, root account ... everything! Don't allow physical access to the system or you will end up thinking you are in the same place again. If you use wireless then change the password for the network, the network name and make sure you use encryption on the network.
    When you reinstall only install software from the the repositories. Disable sshd and don't enable any other methods of accessing information on your system remotely.