Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I've just started using Linux a couple of days ago when my windowsXP restore disk for my laptop wouldn't work, so I decided to try Ubuntu instead. So far ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

firewalls, anti-virus and spyware

Hi.

I've just started using Linux a couple of days ago when my windowsXP restore disk for my laptop wouldn't work, so I decided to try Ubuntu instead. So far I'm really enjoying using it. I liked it so much that this morning I created a 2nd partition on my desktop PC and installed Ubuntu to that as well.

This probably isn't the right forum for asking questions, but since I'm new and while I'm posting I would like to ask about firewalls, anti-virus and spyware. Well basically do I need a firewall and anti-virus and what sort of risk is spyware to Linux systems?

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Check this short guide to security for some help in deciding what security applications you might want or need, if any:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...-security.html

Some Linux users don't run any special security apps, while others run a number of different security apps.
    oz

I use the hardware firewall in my router. Because I often start services which I only want to be accessible from within my private network. If you try out such things,it is a good idea to have a firewall, as we are only humans and may forget/overlook something here.

I have been quite happy without running anti-virus software for some years on GNU/Linux now, though. Only doing some spot tests from time to time.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the replies.

I have a firewall in my router, and I've just installed Clam to Ubuntu and I've been told that adding noscript and adblock plus should take care of any spyware.

Being new to Linux I'm not sure if that's all I need.

the neat thing about linux is that most viruses dont work in linux and the antivirus software you downloaded is for prevention of spreading and code removal
    hardware firewalls free the os of the task.
    you can get hardened linux distros for higher security.
    linux os when set up properly is very difficult to try to hack due to its multiple partition scheme and password setup procedures
    although some setups allow for 1 single large partition on the hard drive (this is not recommended for security purposes)
    (2) passwords are a good step but only if it is a strong one!
    example I use a cypher code that is impossible to break and its remarkably simple.
    [B]reversed alpha numeric code with a rotating cypher key[/B]((36 to the 35th power number of possible combinations))

Linux Newbie
    I recommend rkhunter with the --propud option, to detect rootkits, but it should ideally be the first thing you do after and installation.

Just Joined! Digital_Resistance's Avatar

NoScript, General Firefox Security, Other Add-ons, Live CD Passwords

Quote Originally Posted by peteuplink View Post
    I have a firewall in my router,
    Have you changed the default password to a secure one?

A lot of people don't even realize they have to do that.
    and I've just installed Clam to Ubuntu
    Last I checked, Clam AV had a pathetic detection rate.

Perhaps someone can comment on whether there's been any improvement recently or mention a superior alternative.

and I've been told that adding noscript and adblock plus should take care of any spyware.
    1.) Essential information for securing Firefox , including instructions on using NoScript:
    cert[dot]org/tech_tips/securing_browser/
    (Hasn't been updated in some time but mostly still relevant)

2.) I am under the impression that judicious use of NoScript: being highly discriminatory and selective in allowing scripts and plugins, is probably one of the single greatest security precautions one can take.

If one uses NoScript well, then I not only wonder how much additional security AdBlock Plus would provide but whether it could even pose an additional risk.

Why, you ask? How could that possibly be?

Because it has been pointed-out and discussed that each and every additional Firefox add-on poses a potential security risk*.

NoScript is not for everyone, though; some (probably many, if we're talking about average or typical users) will simply find it too confusing and/or annoying. For such people, I suspect that the security benefits of using AdBlock Plus would outweigh any potential risks.

3). Use as few plugins as possible. Disable whichever ones you don't need.

*And for that matter, I wonder whether it is only a matter of time before someone comes-up with a way to bypass NoScript. What happens then?

Quote Originally Posted by gnuuser View Post
    (2) passwords are a good step but only if it is a strong one!
    How would this apply to running a live CD, where both the root as well as "demo", "guest" or "user" passwords are public knowledge?

Just Joined!
    You can rely on firewall program such as apf, which can be installed on the system. It has got so many features and highly configurable. Installing tools such as chkrootkit, rkhunter, logwatch etc can increase the system security. You can run these softwares for testing system security at regular intervals.