Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all, I have a problem with SUID/GUID and sticky bit. When SUID or GUID or Sticky bit is set (without execute permission), it will not have any effect security, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to use SUID/GUID and sticky bit?

Hi all,
    I have a problem with SUID/GUID and sticky bit.
    When SUID or GUID or Sticky bit is set (without execute permission), it will not have any effect security, i don't know why, who can tell me why and the advantage of them?

mzv
    Just Joined!
    Except of setting SUID/GUID you have to define file permissions by chmod command and define user-owner or group-owner. Sticky bit is useful, for example, when you want other users to be allowed to delete only their own files

Just Joined!
    Thanks mzv!
    If you only set Sticky bit (without execute permssion) on a directory, assume it has permission as below:
    drw-r-xr-T /tmp
    I am sure that it doesn't have any effect security, in this case what's the meaning of sticky bit?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    mzv
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by vhai View Post
    Thanks mzv!
    If you only set Sticky bit (without execute permssion) on a directory, assume it has permission as below:
    drw-r-xr-T /tmp
    I am sure that it doesn't have any effect security, in this case what's the meaning of sticky bit?
    In this case, the owner of the file '/tmp/somefile' is able to delete it. And other user will receive an error, even if /tmp has 777 rights. I think so.