Find the answer to your Linux question:
We've recenlty purchased a three computers and I was wondering how I would go about making it so the two computers for the children could be locked down remotely or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

The Parent Trap

We've recenlty purchased a three computers and I was wondering how I would go about making it so the two computers for the children could be locked down remotely or not function without periodic connection to mine. Basically I want them to need to use my computer as a server or some kind of go between for whatever it is that they do so they don't get into anything and so I can ground them without unhooking everything.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by NewJerseyMom8547 View Post
    ... whatever it is that they do so they don't get into anything and so I can ground them without unhooking everything.
    You have to be clearer on what you want. Are you wanting to cut off Internet access for their machines, or make it such that they cannot even, say, play games on the local machine?

In case of the former, if you are connected to the Internet using a router of some sort, I'd advise assigning static IP's to the children's computers and putting in a block rule on your broadband modem/router for the children's IP's every time they are grounded. Dont give them administrative access on their machines and you should be good to go.

In case of the latter, it is difficult, but do-able if you have advanced linux and/or scripting knowledge. You could always set up the X clients on the children's machines to use your machine as the X server. You still wouldnt be able to prevent them from logging in over CLI, but one, it may be more desirable to let them continue or two, you could use a remote authentication mechanism with a script to kick them out if they already have an open session.

Just Joined!
    This sounds so authoritarian!
    I want to have it so their computers will lock down after so many hours when mine hasn't sent them the stay open command/code/whatever. I want to be able to do this electively too.

I want to be able to allow them access to only a certain list of sites and I want those sites to have to pass through my computer, you know, run as server.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    you know, run as server.
    Maybe This will help. My Kids are grown, so I feel for ya.

Linux Guru
    For Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Good luck with it.

Nanny

For the server thingy, set your computer as the proxy of the children's computers. Tell the router to not accept outbound internet requests from the computers directly, so the server can't be bypassed.
    Last edited by GNU-Fan; 04-05-2010 at 10:26 PM.
    Debian GNU/Linux -- You know you want it.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for all the help!