Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to force a ssh server accept connections using V1 as default? I recently changed my sshd_config to allow Protocol 1,2 and now all my V1 ssh ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Force sshd to default to Protocol 1

Is there any way to force a ssh server accept connections using V1 as default?

I recently changed my sshd_config to allow Protocol 1,2 and now all my V1 ssh and scp connection requests need a -1 argument or I get a "permission denied" message.

Is there a way to do the reverse i.e. let the server accept Protocol 1 by default and forcing me to ssh -2 and scp -2 when I want to use Protocol V2?

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by kosie99 View Post
    Is there any way to force a ssh server accept connections using V1 as default?

I recently changed my sshd_config to allow Protocol 1,2 and now all my V1 ssh and scp connection requests need a -1 argument or I get a "permission denied" message.

Is there a way to do the reverse i.e. let the server accept Protocol 1 by default and forcing me to ssh -2 and scp -2 when I want to use Protocol V2?

Thanks!
    No, this is not possible. V1 is considered insecure(it can be decoded in real time with Ettercap) and client utilities will try to not use it whenever possible.

However, if you wanted to you can change the client config file (ssh_config) to use V1.

Out of curiosity, what are you gaining by running V1?

Just Joined!

default to ssh v1

the simple answer, I believe, is to uncomment the following line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config

#Protocol 2,1

and change the order to 1,2

HOWEVER.....
    The point made in the previous post is very important...v1 is insecure...it's dangerous...using ssh v1 is like not using ssh at all...yes, it's that serious.

You would be well advised to modify all operations that currently use v1, and update them to use v2.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

opps...

I really should check my facts before I post...
    according to the man page for sshd_config, that line will not impact the default protocol.

Sorry.

The other points still stand, however.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by weismanm View Post
    I really should check my facts before I post...
    according to the man page for sshd_config, that line will not impact the default protocol.

Sorry.

The other points still stand, however.
    Yeah I thought that for a second, but then I remembered the last time I debugged a faulty ssh authentication thing, it's the client that chooses priority.