Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by cms9000 View Post
    Perfect. That pretty much sums it up right there.

Very good thread. Great info here.

I'm only since 1 year with Linux (before Linux, since 88, a "plain" wdoze, user).

Up to a couple of months ago I used to be quite relaxed while connected to the net: browsing, downloading, chats, a.s.o. A few months ago I was told about a serious problem with a wdoze user. From then, my security concerns became much higher.

How do I use my pc: I've one partition where I store files, mainly downloads from email, sites in the net or from bit-torrents: most are multimedia, e-books, gnome Art & Themes and office files. Everything that I want to keep permanently, is backed up and stored out of the pc, a.s.a.p. This is what I think most home pc user typically do.

Now, back to the topic: Should I worry, security wise, about running any of those files at a Linux OS (I multiboot various distros) ?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilifo View Post
    Very good thread. Great info here.

I'm only since 1 year with Linux (before Linux, since 88, a "plain" wdoze, user).

Up to a couple of months ago I used to be quite relaxed while connected to the net: browsing, downloading, chats, a.s.o. A few months ago I was told about a serious problem with a wdoze user. From then, my security concerns became much higher.

How do I use my pc: I've one partition where I store files, mainly downloads from email, sites in the net or from bit-torrents: most are multimedia, e-books, gnome Art & Themes and office files. Everything that I want to keep permanently, is backed up and stored out of the pc, a.s.a.p. This is what I think most home pc user typically do.

Now, back to the topic: Should I worry, security wise, about running any of those files at a Linux OS (I multiboot various distros) ?
    Windows virus, etc, can't infect Linux. However you might pass them on to other Windows users. As far as using them, I don't see an issue. I always have all my videos, music, etc backed up. I use to bounce back and fourth with many operating systems (still do, Linux+BSD) but specifically Windows (Which I finally stopped using recently.) Just scan them quick with clamtk if you want to be on the safe side. Caution with the internet/computer is never a bad thing.