Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just started using linux and i don't have a clue about firewalls and general security to keep my computer safe. I assume linux does come with some default values ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Default values

I just started using linux and i don't have a clue about firewalls and general security to keep my computer safe. I assume linux does come with some default values for security in case the user doesn't know how to set everything up. Am i right or should i start learning right now how to set up my computer's security control?

Linux Newbie
    Yeah, it comes with default values. Of course the defaults are completely dependant on the distro you installed.

As far as I know, mandrake will close any port it doesn't need from incoming connections.SO by default you're mostly locked down. ALthough I'm not 100% on this.

Oh, i see. My distro's mandrake 9.1, and well, it's good to know that i am somewhat secure on this issue. With time i will get there. I am not worried, plus, the info on my computer is not that important, only if i loose it.