Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I've watched that when auditd is killed, every log message is then copied to the console tty. Is it normal and is it any way to change this behaviour ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[auditd] when killed then kauditd logs to the console tty (?)

Hello,

I've watched that when auditd is killed, every log message is then copied to the console tty. Is it normal and is it any way to change this behaviour ?

It is also a way to force auditd is already running like any special inittab trick ?

Regards

FP.

You can use inittab, yes. I'd use svscan.

Just Joined!
    Thank you.

Can somebody confirm me

1)that it happens to auditd to crash sometimes
    2) kauditd when without auditd logs to /proc/kmsg using the "emergency" priority ?

I've got a case when auditd seems to have crashed because all the logs comes to the console tty but i don't know to find out what happened exactly to auditd.

Regards

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by flatplane View Post
    that it happens to auditd to crash sometimes
    What distribution? Distribution release? What kernel version? What Auditd version? When did this behaviour start? When you installed your distribution? When you (re-)configured something?

Quote Originally Posted by flatplane View Post
    kauditd when without auditd logs to /proc/kmsg using the "emergency" priority ?
    AFAIK that's not a default. Please share your settings: '(grep -v ^# /etc/audisp/audispd.conf /etc/audit/auditd.conf /etc/rsyslog.conf)|grep .;'.

Just Joined!
    I meaned kauditd without any auditd or audispd running. This is a case where someone would intentionnaly killed auditd. then only kauditd is logging. By default, it seems to log to kernel.emerg (at least it can be compared to a facility).

I found a work-around.

kernel.printk=4 4 1 7 in /etc/sysctl.conf

that prevents to log to the console port.

Regards

Just Joined!
    As far as I know kauditd is part of the kernel and it doesn't do any "logging" on its own, on a host running auditd and syslogd audispd is started as a child of auditd, with audispd running, killing auditd should result in audispd.conf overflow_action directive rerouting messages which by default is syslog, killing both audispd and auditd should by default reroute messages to syslog. And the console messages could possibly be solved with 'dmesg -n' as well.