Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys as title says why a virus for windows operating system wont work on ubuntu?or is there a possibility a windows operating virus can effect linux too? and is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

why windows viruses doesnt effect linux?

hi guys

as title says why a virus for windows operating system wont work on ubuntu?or is there a possibility a windows operating virus can effect linux too?

and is there any virus works on both?
    thanks

Hi johnhagen. Welcome to the forum!

A non-technical answer: For the same reason rabies does not infect fish. Dogs and fish are two different animals. I do not know of any viruses that can affect both Windows and Linux. I suppose it is possible. Someone would have to be really good (or bad, as the case may be) to come up with one that could infect both operating systems in the same way.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

EEEEER. Linux does not use a registry. exe. actly.

No wonder my OS won't find a dll.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Try this link, it helps clear things up a little bit.
    Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed | Linux.com
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

different OS, different system, different architecture...

Linux Newbie
    I would like to point out that OS-independent platforms (like java, adobe air, etc) are subject to viruses, be it in linux, windows, mac, or what-have-you, as the platform is more-or-less a virtual machine. Of course, these also have to "break out" to be damaging (depending on the target, I suppose)... And still, this is not a linux problem, but their respective creators.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    Try this link, it helps clear things up a little bit.
    Note to new Linux users: No antivirus needed | Linux.com
    That article states the case quite succinctly. I would add a note, that I only use AV software on my Linux systems to scan the Windows discs of friends and clients that have become infected, or to scan downloaded Windows executables that I might want to run in the Wine environment.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ryokimball View Post
    I would like to point out that OS-independent platforms (like java, adobe air, etc) are subject to viruses, be it in linux, windows, mac, or what-have-you, as the platform is more-or-less a virtual machine. Of course, these also have to "break out" to be damaging (depending on the target, I suppose)... And still, this is not a linux problem, but their respective creators.
    I wonder, if the virus uses a vulnerability in java to break in the system (and break out of java as you said) it also needs a vulnerability in the host system (be it Lin or Win) to be able to go on a killing spree. There was a problem with the Android platform where a few stolen apps were modified to break out of the VM, root the phone and do nasty stuff. The fix was applied to Android itself and not Java if I'm not mistaken.

So in theory Linux should be safer when using it as a host for a cross-platform solution as the glitches should get fixed faster and found out sooner, right?

Anyone have a reference to a comparison of security measures, break ins and the speed of fixing them on different platforms? I know that Linux is thought to be one of the safest systems there is but a valid study would be of great help.