Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am a new bee in linux security ,I want cross compile the firestarter firewall for montavista linux power pc ,I have downloaded the firestarter-1.0.3.tar.gz .Kindly help to cross ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question how to cross compile firestarter firewall

Hi,
    I am a new bee in linux security ,I want cross compile the firestarter firewall for montavista linux power pc ,I have downloaded the firestarter-1.0.3.tar.gz .Kindly help to cross compile it.

Regards,
    Deepmala

Linux User
    The first thing you need is the cross compiler toolchain for PowerPC.

You should install the binary distribution of GCC that is native to your platform, but also download the source code for the PowerPC GCC compiler. You must also download the BinUtils source, and you must choose a C standard library package like Glibc, or uclibc, and download that as well.

You must build the GCC and BinUtils source as a cross compiler. This requires configuring, and sometimes patching, the source code such that a cross compile chain is built. Configure, then make the cross compiler.

Then, user your cross compiler to build the C standard library for the target platform (PowerPC).

It is very helpful to search google for "GCC powerpc cross compile toolchain". Many people have posted the steps they have used to construct their cross compilers. Here is one example.

Just Joined!
    Thanx for the information.But my problem is to compile firestarter-1.0.3 source code with powerpc compiler . I already have powerpc compiled environment ,all the utilities and libraries .On compilation of firestarter code by firing command "./configure " it is using GCC compiler by default and compiled it successfully ,i want it to be use ppc compiler instead of gcc. I have powerpc environment on path
    /op/montavista/cge/devkit/ppc/85xx/bin/ppc_85xx-gcc

I am giving command to replace CC=GCC i have mentioned ppc maually like this
    "./configure CC =/opt/montavista/cge/devkit/ppc/85xx/bin/ppc_85xx-gcc --target=powerpc-linux --prefix=/opt/montavista/cge/devkit/ppc/85xx/bin/powerpc-linux --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-languages=c "

But it is giving error

checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
    checking whether make sets $(MAKE)... (cached) yes
    checking build system type... Invalid configuration `CC': machine `CC' not recognized

Kindly help

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close