Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
oh thats it i'm just not going to talk to you anymore...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

oh thats it i'm just not going to talk to you anymore

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    I need a book on C, but I spent my spare money on linux complete (I have no job ) anyone wanna give me one? :P
    Have a look here: http://cslibrary.stanford.edu/

I am learning C from it, currently looking at Linked Lists in C.

Are you looking for a beginners guide, or a reference manual, or a "in 24 hours/days" type of thing?

Jason

Just Joined!
    a begginers guide realy. but one that goes quite far in.

i'm not a newbie proggrammer. I have experince with php and java, I am told php at least has a synax simaler to C. so that SHOULD give me a bit of a head start.

the problem with e-books is that its just so much harder to take the information int hat if you have a physical bookt hat you can read sat in an armchair.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamer
    the problem with e-books is that its just so much harder to take the information int hat if you have a physical bookt hat you can read sat in an armchair.
    I know where you are coming from, somtimes are hard copy of a book allows you time to ponder and take in the information a lot easier.
    On the other had, i still find PDF's pretty good, as you can experiment with sample code as you read, which can also help me increase my understanding of the concepts being put forward.

Jason

It's even nicer, though, to have the book in your lap while you code...easy to reference and check their examples against your code.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Are you guys printer challenged?

I print out all my decent ebooks for the hard copy benifits. I print mine during lunch at work.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    It's even nicer, though, to have the book in your lap while you code...easy to reference and check their examples against your code.
    But then you miss the joys of copy and paste

Quote Originally Posted by fastlanwan
    Are you guys printer challenged?

I print out all my decent ebooks for the hard copy benifits. I print mine during lunch at work.
    I suppose you could call me printer challenged, i havent setup my linux box to use the network printer at work, im too lazy no, hold on, thats not printer challenged, its laziness

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    "Lazy" would be a bit too harsh. We are all lazy in one way or another anyway. Afterall I could search books and tuts for ever or just do a simple search and if there are no good results post a question. Just more practical.

BTW thanks to my employer, I have 100's of ebooks, tut's etc... on paper which has saved me big $$$ from buying even more books. All my wireless stuff and (except for a $5 book) all my security stuff is in ebook/tut form on paper. The reason inaddition to saving me $$$, is there is not always good documentation on a neglected subject like security or new ones like the explosive growth in wireless. Also saved me some $$$ on cert training and general learning like java, c and VB.

So save your money if you can for the books you want to read but also keep as reference books by printing ebooks/tuts at work. With your employer ok of course
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Hrm...I don't think the good people at the banks I work at would enjoy me using their computers much less printing off hundreds of pages of eBooks.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Banks are known uptight places but you can always still ask about printing during your lunch time? 50 pages a day will save you a good amount. Just do your printing when most of the mangers take their lunch (after you get your mgr.'s ok for "limited printing")

The other method is to have a friend that works at a less uptight company, do it for you. You get a ebook after a few day and maybe you get him burned CD of his type of music (coughKazzacough). One hand washes the other
    Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast