Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi All , I want user called itsme to login to the server via FTP . We have set its home directory as /itsme/ by setting it in /etc/passwd . ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

FTP query

Hi All ,

I want user called itsme to login to the server via FTP . We have set its home directory as /itsme/ by setting it in /etc/passwd . But we dont want that user to go anywhere above that ( /itsme) directory . It can go down that directory e.g. /itsme/pub/docs ...etc....but should not go level above /itsme ..... e.g it should not go to /home or /root directory . Please help me out . Thanx in advance .

Linux Enthusiast
    This is called 'chrooting' the user. The setup depends on the ftp program installed and the version. Please let us know which FTP daemon you are using, and we can help you. Or you can just search on google for 'chroot proftpd' or whatever daemon you are using.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.

Linux Enthusiast
    Please don't PM people asking for specific help. If you ask there, it is a lot less likely to get answered. However, you wrote:

Hi Samuel ,

First of all thanx for the reply ..... And Sending you provate message since im not sure whether u will come back to my forum question or what .... .....
    Yes chroot loooks like the solution for my query ...even i have come to that point after reading through MAN pages ....Anyways we dont know how to use it ....We are using wu-ftpd
    -2.6.1-21 ...on Linux Advanced Server 2.1 . Anything more you need plz let us know . We are also searching google but your help would be appreciable . Thanking you ....
    In /etc/ftpaccess you will find a directive called 'guestgroup'. This is usually set to 'ftpchroot'. You will have to add a group called 'ftpchroot' to your system, possibly by
    using the vigr command, or the groupadd command. Then you will need to add the user in question to the ftpchroot group. You do not need to make it his primary group, just a gr
    oup the user belongs to. Once this is done, he will not be able to get outside of his home directory.

Best,

Samuel
    I respectfully decline the invitation to join your delusion.