Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Giving console permissions

Hi, I wanted to know if there is a way to give console permissions?

What I need this for is: I have a script that I start as root that would start a program (vmware) as another user. Eg. su vmUser vmplayer ...
    The problem is that root has the console permissions and I need vmUser to have them so vmware is able to use /dev/dsp. In short I need vmUser to have r+w on /dev/dsp

If console permissions isn't the right way of doing this, how can this be done? What I tried so far is putting vmUser in the audio group, that works, but I don't want vmUser to be in the audio group.

Thank you,
    Jerry Reptak

SkittleLinux18
    Enter this code in the terminal:

sudo chmod a+x /dev/dsp

Just Joined!
    I don't want to do this because this computer is located on the network. That is why I'm looking for a way through doing it with the PAM physical console permissions. I don't want someone to ssh and start playing music on the physical machine.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    SkittleLinux18
    No one will ssh in if you don't have port forwarding setup. Just make sure the ssh port on your router is blocked.

Just Joined!
    I need SSH enabled. This isn't a home computer, this is a cluster of 30+ machines each running a virtual image of our custom centOS. When the machine boots, it goes to runlevel 4, runs the script and the VM starts.