Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi, I just installed ClamAV and Chkrootkit scanners and whenever I run ClamAV it says it is out of date and I need to update it. But I don't know ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Some security things

Hi,
    I just installed ClamAV and Chkrootkit scanners and whenever I run ClamAV it says it is out of date and I need to update it. But I don't know how to do that.

Chkrootkit runs and that I know of is up to date. But how would I update it when it came to time for it to be updated?

I also just got Wireshark, but I cant seem to get it set up. I am seeming to have a lot of mess ups today

(I am running these in MoonOS which is built form debian and ubuntu)

Thanks, and have a nice day

EDIT:
    I installed the KlamAV thing that goes along with clamAV and it has a update option. But it won't do anything once i click it.
    Last edited by jreidsma; 08-31-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Just Joined!
    You need to run freshclam to update the av scanner.

Can you be more specific with the wireshark problem?

I don't really have a problem with Wireshark, I just installed it. I just don't know how to set it up.

I ran the sudo freshclam and it worked this time. But now it is giving me the following message in the terminal:
    WARNING: Current functionality level =58, recommended =60
    please check if clamAV tools are linked against the proper version of libclamav
    DON'T PANIC! Read (Gives ClamAV FAQ page url)

I am going to the website it showed, the clamAV FAQ page.

Just Joined!
    Do you want wireshark to analyse an existing network dump or to create one? All details are helpful.

Does wireshark do both WiFi and wired networks?

I was just going to use it to check my wifi I have and make sure that only my computers are on it. And I was just kind of bored and figured it would give me something to do

Any ideas with the ClamAV "warning"?

Just Joined!
    It does work on wifi, but possibly not in the way you want. It will grab all packets that pass through the interface. This won't show details of other connected computers, necessarily. If your PC is your access point then it would, though.

Re: clamav. Did the faq make any sense?

I might not use the wire shark for a while then, not until I have a use for it

I read the ClamAV FAQ and nothing that I found related to my problem. So I did a quick google search and couldn't really find anything either.

Hi,
    I started a scan with ClamAV in the terminal and now it says that the ClamAV engine is outdated.

But then when I run freshclam it still says the same thing as the warning I posted earlier.

Any ideas?

Just Joined!
    Can you please post the full message, from:

"Received signal: wake up" to the end, a few lines beyond the, "WARNING: Current functionality level = 58, recommended = 60
    DONíT PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/support/faq" bit.

Thanks.

Here's the full terminal message when running freshclam:
    ClamAV update process started at Thu Sep 1 12:01:30 2011
    main.cvd is up to date (version: 53, sigs: 846214, f-level: 53, builder: sven)
    daily.cld is up to date (version: 13529, sigs: 185365, f-level: 60, builder: arnaud)
    WARNING: Current functionality level = 58, recommended = 60
    Please check if ClamAV tools are linked against the proper version of libclamav
    DON'T PANIC! Read Clam AntiVirus
    bytecode.cvd is up to date (version: 144, sigs: 41, f-level: 60, builder: edwin)
    WARNING: Current functionality level = 58, recommended = 60
    Please check if ClamAV tools are linked against the proper version of libclamav
    DON'T PANIC! Read Clam AntiVirus

It doesn't say anything after that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast