Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have an encrypted partition (/dev/hdc2) mounted at /mnt/crypto It is set up to allow users, so when I am in console, I type mount /mnt/crypto, and it mounts it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mount Encrypted FS from KDE

I have an encrypted partition (/dev/hdc2) mounted at /mnt/crypto

It is set up to allow users, so when I am in console, I type mount /mnt/crypto, and it mounts it

When I add this to my KDE desktop (rightclick - new - device - hard disk), and select the correct device (dev/hdc2), it will not allow me to mount it.
    It tells me there is a error relating to the password.

I was wondering, is there any way to set this up to make it simply ask for my password (so I don't have to open a console every time)

This works with my other partitions (which I keep unmounted unless I need them)

-palmer

I wonder if you could use the same or similar mechanism to kppp. This has a link in /usr/bin to something called consollehelper which takes care of the "asking for the password" bit ( the real kppp lives in /usr/sbin which is further down the search path).

I'm only thinking outloud here, so this may not work, or there may be a far simpler way of doing it.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

Mounting encrypted partition

http://polishlinux.org/howtos/encryp...tion-in-linux/

In the article above you have it described how to automatically mount an encrypted partition upon log in to X. It may be helpful.