Find the answer to your Linux question:
Recently I encountered a situation with Iceweasel that required a temporary work-around. For whatever reason at times people like to mess with me, that is why I went Linux. While ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Iceape

Recently I encountered a situation with Iceweasel that required a temporary work-around.

For whatever reason at times people like to mess with me, that is why I went Linux.

While using Iceape I got flooded with Syn's DDos or whatever they were using.

The odd thing was that after realizing the occurrence using netstat, I had over 500 dropped attempts on about 5 different connections. I did an "ifdown eth0", killed the browser - and waited for everybody to go away.

However, all connections did not terminate. The ones holding the flood remained. Then i did a "netstat --programs and found that they were still connected to Iceape-Bin. I had to kill that process specifically to terminate the connections, even though the browser was closed.

It could simply be that this is how things work. I could have done a reboot, but this is how I learn.

This is also why I do not mess with a certain company's products. I am paranoid about built-in backdoors.

I know who the connections are, easy enough to look-up... many such tools available.

OS = Debian

FYI.

You might try firing up tcpdump or wireshark to see what is truly going on before condemning a project as backdoored. At the connection rate you describe, it would be an abundance of data, but you would at least be able to see who the real "syn'r" is.

I think you misspoke:

"It could simply be that this is how things work."

Why so sensitive? Just dismiss the conversation. I quoted myself, by the way.

I do not care what they are doing. If a door is left open somebody will find a way in.

Condemn was your choice of words, not mine.... What does it say just above my icon?

Why is there only one search option, and one automatically installed tool bar? I believe Microsoft was sued for similar reasons.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    One other thing that struck me odd, after reinstalling Iceweasel, and bringing it back into the fold; apt-get remove iceape - said it removed, and I purged. Yet it remained on my system as the default browser. Fortunately, Synaptic removed it - using complete.... since you re-brought it up. (I was satisfied with bygones being just that).

Use what you prefer.