Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello guys! We deployed our site over the internet last week and we noticed something weird just this afternoon. Actually, I was trying to google our site just to check ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Another Domain Redirects to Ours

Hello guys!

We deployed our site over the internet last week and we noticed something weird just this afternoon.

Actually, I was trying to google our site just to check searchability and noticed that in one of the results, our site was under another domain.

And so I tried to type the Canadian-based domain name in the box and it redirected to our site. We never intented this to be so.

I asked our sys ad and he said it was not a hack. Somebody mistyped the ip address of this Canadian-based website and it was redirecting it to ours.

And so, our site can be accessed now with both domain names. Anybody can just navigate through it but cannot use functions yet since we have not received any members as of the moment.

May I please ask for your opinion on this please? Anybody experience this before too? Or is this a prelude to an attack?

I would appreciate any word from you, thank you!

regards,

nujinini
    Last edited by nujinini; 11-15-2011 at 12:37 AM. Reason: grammar
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667

I suppose it depends on how important your site and domain name are to what you're doing. I can't see it being a good thing over the long run, though, it's almost like a site theft.

If it's going to cause you a problem, you can always set up the virtual hosts in Apache, so that all valid requests to your correct domain are fielded correctly, but any requests to this incorrect domain either fail completely or redirect/forward to your real domain, so at least anyone going in through that address gets the right domain name in the address bar, and nobody is deceived.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Thank you Roxoff!

It's socio-political website and the target users are mainly citizens. I checked over at alexa.com and it started to recognize our site. Were at 18 M plus. Good place to start. The Canadian site has no data as of now. "mangait.com".

Our sys ad said someone place the wrong IP ad to their site that's why it is redirecting it to ours. It's not a hack in the system, yet, I should say. They did something now that when I try type mangait.com it already gives an error 404.

regards,
    nujinini
    nujinini
    Linux User #489667