Find the answer to your Linux question:
hello,this is mallesh. how to give security to usb device in linux? i mean i want to give read/write only options to my usb mass storage device(eg: pendrive). how to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

usb security

hello,this is mallesh.

how to give security to usb device in linux?

i mean i want to give read/write only options to my usb mass storage device(eg: pendrive).
    how to do this.
    any help?????

Linux Newbie
    You can easily remove execute permissions with chmod
    Code:
    chmod -x /dev/sdb1
    assuming your Usb is /dev/sdb1. But anyone can change that, encryption is the only way to do what you're asking.
    Last edited by kurtdriver; 11-16-2011 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Spell better second time around

Just Joined!
    thanks for ur reply.

my problem is,

I am able to block(allow) or unblock(reject) the USB mass storage device to my pc with the help of libusb api's. upto this ok.

incase of unblock(accept) device:
    i want to control write/read to/from device.
    means, i need a control (accept/reject transfer) when user copy a file from my pc and paste in a usb mass storage (pendrive) device.

I am not able to achieve with LIBUSB API's. Please
    help??????

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    If you format the device with a Linux file system, such as ext2/3/4, then you can set ownership and permissions on the files as you wish, or if you have SELinux extensions on your system, you can add them to the appropriate ACLs (Access Control Lists). In any case, Windows users will not be able to easily access the data.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!