Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I use truecrypt for full system disc encryption in windows (from XP onwards) and have tried it with ubuntu and Mint but without success. I also recently tried a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Full disk encryption

Hi, I use truecrypt for full system disc encryption in windows (from XP onwards) and have tried it with ubuntu and Mint but without success. I also recently tried a dual boot system but truecrypt will not do full disc encryption with two operating systems on the one disc - so it says and as far as I know. I tried installing Xubuntu using Wubi inside Vista and truecrypt does encrypt the system disc but the Xubuntu won't boot.

Is it possible to fully encrypt the system disc of an ubuntu (ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint etc) machine either as a stand alone machine or as a dual boot system?

I know I can run fully encrypted virtual linux machines under windows 7 but I want to run Linux as either the primary system and/or as part of a multi boot system.

PS. I understand Fedora has fulldisc encryption but did not find any i2p or other packages as rpms. Is it possible to run a multi-boot system with full disc encryption with fedora as the primary operating system?

I've not dealt with that scenario. But I found this page, which looks promising.
    Also found this one.

Hopefully, one of those will lead you in the right direction.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    Yes, you can fully encrypt your Fedora installation. It uses LUKS for encryption. It is supported during the install stage (you just click a box "Encrypt partition" or something and provide password). You won't be able to encrypt the /boot partition, though.

Truecrypt is great, too. I use it on dual-boot systems (Linux/Windows) to share a common encrypted file.

Quote Originally Posted by atreyu View Post
    You won't be able to encrypt the /boot partition, though.
    From what I was reading, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that shouldn't be a problem. Since once you hit the bootloader and select your OS, you'll need to enter the appropriate passkey.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Trusted Penguin
    No, I didn't mean to insinuate that that would cause a problem. I was just clarifying it so that the OP realizes that not 100% of the disk is encrypted.