Find the answer to your Linux question:
I ask because I don't have a ~/.ICEauthority file in either of my two minimalist systems and so far none of my apps has complained about the lack of it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What kind of programs use ICEauthority?

I ask because I don't have a ~/.ICEauthority file in either of my two minimalist systems and so far none of my apps has complained about the lack of it. I know that gdm needs it and won't log you in without it but why else might you need it?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

I may be wrong on this, but I believe ~/.ICEauthority only applies to systems using IceWM.
    That's my preferred WM, and I have that file... and I still don't know its real function.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Quote Originally Posted by jayd512 View Post
    I may be wrong on this, but I believe ~/.ICEauthority only applies to systems using IceWM.
    That's my preferred WM, and I have that file... and I still don't know its real function.
    IceWM may use it but so do Gnome and KDE and their display managers definitely need it for logging on. I've browsed around a bit and it seems that xfce doesn't use it. ICE in this context stands for Inter-Client Exchange and it's a kind of client-to-client
    authorisation protocol, similar to the way that Xauthority authorises you to the server. My guess is that simple window-managers
    don't use it but that you end up with it all the same if you install anything that brings in the gnome or KDE libraries.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"

Some ICE information can be found here
    It looks as though the system can be used for authentication, but that depends on the protocol used for information exchange.
    Code:
    iceauth list
    will show information on authentication used with ICE. iceauth list gives me several lines like this, I use IceWm ...
    Code:
    ICE "" local/Desktop-PC:/tmp/.ICE-unix/28354 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 46f68a5795dc1606b1677793f02f7029
    XSMP "" local/Desktop-PC:/tmp/.ICE-unix/28354 MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 9c32ae8d8bcfdab55d11ac326cfa35bf