Find the answer to your Linux question:
Is there any way to get an addon built for T-bird that will scan emails and attachments and either get them Marked or Tagged if they're infected? I'm not looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anti-virus scanning for T-bird

Is there any way to get an addon built for T-bird that will scan emails and attachments and either get them Marked or Tagged if they're infected? I'm not looking for quarantining or fixing or trashing them, just a clear way to id them so our MS'd up friends can't complain about getting something that sets off their anti-virus or worse, get their precious MS trashed if their av misses.

Trusted Penguin
    I use AVG Free for Windows and Linux. I can confirm that there is Thunderbird plugin that works on the Windows side, but I never tried to get it to work on my Linux boxes - for obvious reasons ;)

Just thought i'd put it out there...good luck.

Just Joined!
    Thanks atreyu, I used AVG pro on an old XP several years ago and it was great. If I remember correctly just about the time I unloaded that box AVG went through a rough time with some fractures and problems related to the free version. I never had need to use it after that. I'll cruise on over and take a look at what they've got.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

AVG NSG (Not So Good)

Well .... I'll have to change my opinion of AVG, for Linux anyway. Installed OK. Configured OK. Updated OK. Scanned NOT OK! As soon as I hit enter everything froze up, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing. I waited for nearly an hour just to be sure. I had to hard-button shutdown. Restart gave me a black screen with the mouse cursor in the middle. That was all. Still no keyboard or mouse action. I just finished a full reinstall. Not happy, not any one of the other dwarfs either! I'll just stick with a smart alec signature on my emails warning everyone 'To my MSed up friends running Microsoft, this email has NOT been scanned by any anti-virus program because I use Linux. Open at your own risk. or trust your own anti-virus program.'
    Maybe some day, but not today.

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by blaineclrk View Post
    Well .... I'll have to change my opinion of AVG, for Linux anyway. Installed OK. Configured OK. Updated OK. Scanned NOT OK! As soon as I hit enter everything froze up, no keyboard, no mouse, nothing. I waited for nearly an hour just to be sure. I had to hard-button shutdown. Restart gave me a black screen with the mouse cursor in the middle. That was all. Still no keyboard or mouse action. I just finished a full reinstall.
    well, that sucks! i've never had any probs w/AVG, i'm curious - what is your distro?

Not happy, not any one of the other dwarfs either!
    Are you sure you're not grumpy? Sorry, couldn't resist...

I'll just stick with a smart alec signature on my emails warning everyone 'To my MSed up friends running Microsoft, this email has NOT been scanned by any anti-virus program because I use Linux. Open at your own risk. or trust your own anti-virus program.'
    i like that.

Just Joined!
    I've been running Mint 13 Mate for about three months on an eMachine and I've noticed some instability that seems to involve samba. I could assume that since samba was pre-packaged in the AVG download that it over-wrote my existing samba? This might be hardware related, though I've heard of some samba problems lately too that might be making the hardware instability I have a bit worse. Oh well, I dropped back to Mint 11. That was the most stable build and version I've run so far on this box.

<joke>
    Got rear-ended by a big pickup. Little guy jumped out and ran up yelling 'I'm not happy' so I asked him which of the other 6 dwarfs he was ... that's when the fight started.
    </joke>

Trusted Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by blaineclrk View Post
    I could assume that since samba was pre-packaged in the AVG download that it over-wrote my existing samba?
    say what?

what package is this? do you have a link to it?

there should not be any overwriting of samba configuration by AVG. i'm not saying there wasn't, but there shouldn't be. you can always try to verify the integrity of the samba-related packages, I supposed. Some ways to verify deb packages are explained here.

Just Joined!
    HHHMMM. The file is gone - when I reinstalled. I remember seeing samba scroll by during the install. It caught my eye because of the instability I've had. The link I still have; free.avg.com/us-en/download.prd-alf. I've got a very clear and clean broadband connection and I use K3B for my burning and it shows the md5sum on it's crank-up and I've never seen a problem yet. 'Course I didn't burn the AVG download but ...