Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Odd problem after installing MATE desktop on laptop running F18. If I hibernate the computer, it opens directly on booting. No password prompt. I can lock the screen, let it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to enable password after hibernation in Fedora18/MATE desktop

Odd problem after installing MATE desktop on laptop running F18. If I hibernate the computer, it opens directly on booting. No password prompt.
    I can lock the screen, let it stand unattended until the screensaver runs, or reboot completely, and have to enter my password, but no password prompt appears after suspend or hibernate.
    I couldn't find a require password option in dconf editor or configuration editor or power management or screensaver options. Have I looked in the wrong places?

CR

Linux Newbie
    Found a somewhat relevant bug here: b u gzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=888184

However, it indicates incompatibility's. Could you try suspending and post the output of:

Code:
    tail -n20 .xsession-errors
    Please?

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much.
    Peculiarly, it is now requesting a password. I don't know what I have done.
    Shall suspend and post the output.

Just Joined!
    Click suspend→screen goes black→put kettle on→make coffee→close laptop lid→lift lid→no password prompt→start writing reply→copy and paste your instruction to bash shell.→disable smilies because they rather spoil the tail output.
    g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.

Received signal:15->'Terminated'gnome-shell-calendar-server[1284]: Lost (or failed to acquire) the name org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer - exiting
    g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
    gnome-session[957]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server :0.

Window manager warning: Log level 16: gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.

seapplet: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(abrt:1271): Gdk-WARNING **: abrt: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(nautilus:1262): Gdk-WARNING **: nautilus: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.

(tracker-miner-fs:1258): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not get SPARQL connection: The connection is closed

Tracker:ERROR:tracker-file-notifier.c:1265:tracker_file_notifier_init: code should not be reached
    I hope that is useful. Shall try the same with hibernate.

CR

Just Joined!
    Hibernate→start button→no password prompt. This is the output from tail:-
    tail -n20 .xsession-errors

Received signal:15->'Terminated'gnome-shell-calendar-server[1284]: Lost (or failed to acquire) the name org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer - exiting
    gnome-session[957]: Gdk-WARNING: gnome-session: Fatal IO error 4 (Interrupted system call) on X server :0.

Window manager warning: Log level 16: gnome-shell: Fatal IO error 0 (Success) on X server :0.

(abrt:1271): Gdk-WARNING **: abrt: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

(nautilus:1262): Gdk-WARNING **: nautilus: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.

(tracker-miner-fs:1258): Tracker-CRITICAL **: Could not get SPARQL connection: The connection is closed

Tracker:ERROR:tracker-file-notifier.c:1265:tracker_file_notifier_init: code should not be reached
    [campbell@localhost ~]$ tail -n20 .xsession-errors

Again, I hope that helps. Thank you again for your suggestions. It is interesting if I seem to have found a bug; I shall look at the link you quoted earlier.

CR

Just Joined!
    Actually I think I have different symptoms from that bugzilla link; they couldn't suspend at all. My problem is about waking after suspend.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by madcyclist View Post
    Thank you very much.
    Peculiarly, it is now requesting a password. I don't know what I have done.
    Shall suspend and post the output.
    I'm confused. After this post you mention logs of which no password was requested.

However, my first hunch would be this:
    - if you wait long enough it asks for a password
    - if you don't wait long enough it does not

So that hibernating is activating the screensaver, but that the screensaver does not immediatly lock it.

What are the lock timeout settings of your screensaver?

Just Joined!
    lock after 1 minute. I shall try changing that to 0 minutes, and report results.
    Thank you.

Just Joined!
    screensaver preferences.
    screen saver=random
    power management = on, standby=120min, blank screen=120min, poweroff=180min.
    fade screen to black=6sec, un-fade=6sec
    blank after=10min, cycle after=10min, lock screen=on, 0 min, changed from 1 min.

Didn't request pwd after suspend.
    Do you think I have set something wrong there?

Linux Newbie
    I am assuming you are using mate-screensaver, let's test the lock functionality:

Code:
    mate-screensaver-command --lock
    Run the command as a normal user in a terminal. Upon activity, you should be prompted for a password. If not, something is fishy. If the terminal produces any more output, please provide that here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast