Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, all. My oldest son is 7 yo, and recently took over one of my Linux Mint PCs which he now has in his bedroom. In our home network, right ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need suggestion: Firewall OS to monitor/restrict kid surfing

Hi, all.

My oldest son is 7 yo, and recently took over one of my Linux Mint PCs which he now has in his bedroom.

In our home network, right after the fiber modem, I now have a ClearOS computer with two ethernet cards that works as a firewall and DHCP server.
    I installed this just a couple of weeks ago, getting rid of an Astaro Secure Gateway installation which was just too complicated for me to manage
    But now I think I even have to move away from the ClearOS, as I can't see that I will able to perform the following on it...

As all my clients at home are given static IP addresses, I want to control/limit internet access individually but I don't want to install "parent control" software on each computer.
    I thought, but might have been wrong, there was a possibility on the central firewall to control internet access for each IP or MAC address. Surely I'm not the only one thinking in these lines?

For instance, my boy don't need to access CNN or other news sites that may have disturbing images on the frontpage, but me and my wife want all access from our computers/phones/tablets.
    So I want to put a limit on all "non kid safe" sites but just for his computer's IP address, and I want to manage this centrally and from a simple GUI.

Any suggestions to what I can try out?

Thanks,
    Christopher

I'm not sure if it meets all your needs but take a look at
    DansGuardian - True Web Content Filtering for All
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.