Find the answer to your Linux question:
I originally posted this in the Linux Mint forums but most of the suggestions that I got were related to getting a new browser, or reinstalling Firefox. Since Firefox doesn't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What are these, why are they installed, and should I be concerned?

I originally posted this in the Linux Mint forums but most of the suggestions that I got were related to getting a new browser, or reinstalling Firefox. Since Firefox doesn't list these addons in the addons menu, and I can't find them browsing with the terminal other than with the locate command (they aren't in the directories locate says they are in, or if they are I can't find a way to see and delete them) I thought I would ask the Linux community as a whole.

The reason that I chose mint over Ubuntu was because of the ubuntu spyware concern (Yes, I know I can just turn the monitoring thing off). Anyways, I am reading a book about how to use mint, and I was reading a section about the locate command when something about google popped up. I started browsing through the directory that I had found, but I didn't have a program that I knew of to open any of the files. Remembering Ubuntu, I typed Locate Amazon into the bash and I came up with a rather concerning list of potential spyware. What is all this, what does it do, and should I be concerned?

The google stuff:
    /usr/lib/cli/Google.GData.Documents-2.1
    /usr/lib/cli/Google.GData.Documents-2.1/Google.GData.Documents.dll

The very much more concerning Amazon stuff:
    locate amazon
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/af/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ar/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bn-IN/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/br/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bs/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/cy/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/da/amazon-co-uk.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/de/amazondotcom-de.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/el/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-AU/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-CA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-GB/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-SG/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-US/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-ZA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/eo/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/es-AR/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/eu/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/fa/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/fr/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ga-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/gd/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/gl/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/hr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/hy-AM/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/is/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ja/amazon-jp.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/kn/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ku/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/lg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/lt/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/mk/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/mr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nb-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nn-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nso/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/or/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/pt-PT/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ro/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/si/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/sq/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/sr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/te/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/th/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/tr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/zh-CN/amazondotcn.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/browser/distribution/searchplugins/locale/zu/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/af/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ar/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bn-IN/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/br/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/bs/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/cy/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/da/amazon-co-uk.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/de/amazondotcom-de.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/el/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-AU/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-CA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-GB/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-SG/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-US/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-ZA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/eo/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/es-AR/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/eu/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/fa/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/fr/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ga-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/gd/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/gl/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/hr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/hy-AM/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/is/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ja/amazon-jp.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/kn/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ku/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/lg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/lt/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/mk/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/mr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nb-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nn-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/nso/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/or/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/pt-PT/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/ro/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/si/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/sq/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/sr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/te/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/th/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/tr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/zh-CN/amazondotcn.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/zu/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/af/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/ar/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/bg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/bn-IN/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/br/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/bs/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/cy/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/da/amazon-co-uk.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/de/amazondotcom-de.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/el/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-AU/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-CA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-GB/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-SG/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-US/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/en-ZA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/eo/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/es-AR/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/eu/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/fa/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/fr/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/ga-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/gd/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/gl/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/hr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/hy-AM/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/is/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/ja/amazon-jp.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/kn/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/ku/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/lg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/lt/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/mk/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/mr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/nb-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/nn-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/nso/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/or/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/pt-PT/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/ro/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/si/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/sq/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/sr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/te/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/th/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/tr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/zh-CN/amazondotcn.xml
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/searchplugins/zu/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/lib/thunderbird/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-GB/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/lib/thunderbird/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-US/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/banshee/icons/hicolor/16x16/categories/amazon-mp3-source.png
    /usr/share/banshee/icons/hicolor/16x16/categories/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/banshee/icons/hicolor/22x22/categories/amazon-mp3-source.png
    /usr/share/banshee/icons/hicolor/22x22/categories/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/C/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/ca/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/cs/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/da/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/de/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/el/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/en_GB/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/es/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/fr/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/gl/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/hu/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/ja/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/sl/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/uk/amazon.page
    /usr/share/gnome/help/banshee/zh_CN/amazon.page
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/16/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/22/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/24/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/32/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/amazon-mp3-store-source.png
    /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/scalable/amazon-mp3-store-source.svg
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/af/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/ar/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/bg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/bn-IN/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/br/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/bs/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/cy/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/da/amazon-co-uk.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/de/amazondotcom-de.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/el/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-AU/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-CA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-GB/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-SG/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-US/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/en-ZA/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/eo/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/es-AR/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/eu/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/fa/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/fr/amazon-france.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/ga-IE/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/gd/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/gl/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/hr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/hy-AM/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/is/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/ja/amazon-jp.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/kn/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/ku/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/lg/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/lt/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/mk/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/mr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/nb-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/nn-NO/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/nso/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/or/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/pt-PT/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/ro/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/si/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/sq/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/sr/amazon-en-GB.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/te/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/th/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/tr/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/zh-CN/amazondotcn.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/common/artwork/firefox/searchplugins/zu/amazondotcom.xml
    /usr/share/linuxmint/mintinstall/icons/gnome-gamazons.png
    /usr/share/linuxmint/mintinstall/installed/gnome-gamazons.png
    /usr/share/media-player-info/amazon_kindle.mpi

Just Joined!
    Oh, one more piece of information, to delete these I tried this:

locate amazon > cat amazon.txt (I intended to create a file called amazon.txt with the list but it created a file called cat with the list. I am still learning all the commands, but that was sufficient).
    rm $(<cat)

When I tried this, for each of the files, it told me that there was no such fire or directory.

Linux Newbie
    The list of Amazon files you posted is so Firefox can function properly, not stuff collected while browsing. Each path in the list shows what the file is for...

The underlined shows this is a browser search engine (searchplugins), the language (locale) is Afrikaans (af) and it searches Amazon (amazondotcom).

It does no harm to keep those files; they're just language options for Firefox, Banshee help and similar. Install 'localepurge' if you want to delete all the locales you don't use. Another option is to install Bleachbit.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me a bit more about what they do and how they work?

Quote Originally Posted by fanderal View Post
    The list of Amazon files you posted is so Firefox can function properly, not stuff collected while browsing. Each path in the list shows what the file is for...

The underlined shows this is a browser search engine (searchplugins), the language (locale) is Afrikaans (af) and it searches Amazon (amazondotcom).

It does no harm to keep those files; they're just language options for Firefox, Banshee help and similar. Install 'localepurge' if you want to delete all the locales you don't use. Another option is to install Bleachbit.